The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Can anyone advise me?

(8 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Carol
  • Latest reply from Christine Berrett

No tags yet.

1. Carol

Hi all I need some help from you clever ones. I am doing a piece with a folded hem and there is a small panel with cut threads. In previous work I have removed one thread and then rewoven its pair in the gap but because this is a small panel the thread will only go up to just over the fold if you get what I mean. Plus the other end will need to be rewoven in without removing the thread becausethe panel is set to one side. Would it look uneven. I hope I have explained it well enough and it is not too muddled. The alternative would be to double it up and in this case should I trim it off where the thread is removed for the hem fixing.

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi! I think I know what you're getting at - is it possible for you to give the name of the kit/chart so that I can check it out online?

I have done something similar quite recently where I allowed extra fabric around the sides and withdrew the threads all the way from the opposite edge. Then I re-wove the threads all the way back to the edge, but I realise that might not be possible with your piece...

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Carol

It is something I am creating myself so I can't name the pattern. The panel is only 68 threads wide and it is 29 threads from the hem fold on the one side and 90+ threads away on the other side.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

You might just manage it if you withdraw the threads all the way from the opposite edge, rather than cutting them in the middle of the panel, if you see what I mean.

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. I might just be being a bit dense here (nothing unusual in that) but I'm not quite sure what you are trying to explain. It sounds to me as if you have a little panel WITHIN a wider issue of pattern and that's what's causing the problem of folding back threads - you have only a little area within the panel that you can work with. Even now of course I could have that wrong!

I have a suggestion to make which might help. We have a lot of Guild members who do the Facebook thing - why not put a photo of the piece you are trying to describe onto that. Once others have actually seen what you are trying to explain I bet you will get a lot of helpful responses. Good luck anyway. Brenda

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Alternatively, I think you might be a member of the "Itch to Stitchers" group? In which case, please post a photograph over there to show what you mean.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Carol

I've done it! I crossed everything, held my breath and went for it. I cut the threads with a short section towards the centre of the piece and threaded this in ando removed a thread on the other side and replaced it with the longer cut thread. It seems to work OK. I will soldier on until I meet the next challenge. Thanks for your comments, even though they did not totally give an answer somehow "discussing" it with others just helps.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I'm glad you've got yourself sorted!

It used to be a well-tried technique at work - if you have a problem then just by explaining that problem to someone else, you often resolve the issue yourself. Result!

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.