The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Where to get wadding?

(7 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by martingale
  • Latest reply from Brigitte Gant

No tags yet.

1. martingale

According to the instructions for the Shaker Box which we received on the Swindon weekend, Jane has suggested we make the box before we stitch the linen band to ensure everything lines up. But I am a little stumped as to where I buy thin wadding? Can anyone direct me to an online seller which might have the right weight of wadding for sale? I don't think it is going to work so well with pillow stuffing!

Nancy x

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

Nancy, if you want to get small amounts of wadding, then I suggest you head for your nearest patchwork shop, or if you've got one near you, try Fabrics Plus, or Hobbycraft. If you want to go online, then try The Cotton Patch. They're very good, and will normally send you your order by next day delivery, but unless you get a crib size pack, then you'll have loads left over, and need somewhere to store it. They will also have loads of different types of waddings. I always use Warm and Natural 80/20 which is what I use for quilts, and this works very well with the box, but they also do ones such as "green" wadding, which is made of recycled plastic bottles, and is also quite good, but a bit more expensive. If you don't want to spend loads of money then if you've got an old woollen blanket you don't mind cutting up, then you could use that, which is what people used to use before commercial wadding came onto the market.
    Hope this helps you, and let me know if you manage to get any. Good luck. Barbara

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Sorry Nancy, just read again what I wrote, and realised I'd missed out a words, and the answer didn't make sense. The best wadding to get is Warm and Natural or Hobbs 80/20. If you can get that, you've got quality. Hope that helps.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. martingale

Thank you so much for your advice, Barbara. I ended up going into Crawley on Friday where I discovered a new, rather cheap, craft store with lots of fabrics and they were selling wadding by the metre. So I got the thickness required for a very reasonable price - in fact, the piece was so large I could go into Shaker Box manufacture!

I have now cut up the box from our handheld Dyson and will be turning it into something beautiful...

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Carol

Just finished making up the box using cardboard from a shoe box. I was a bit nervous about it and thought about it for days but like a lot of things it was a lot easier once I got started. It is certainly not perfect and I am not sure how robust it will be but I am fairly proud of it. I expect I will see a lot of imperfections tomorrow. I need to finish stitching the band now. Hope you get on OK with yours.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Barbara Stone

I'm busy sewing the band onto mine, and I made it out of mountboard, so its quite sturdy. Glad you managed to get your wadding Nancy, I look forward to seeing it sometime.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Brigitte Gant

Have you seen, Sally has finished her Swindon w/e box! I think we have to change her name to Speedy Gonzales. I keep getting sidetracked by having to make stuff for special occasions, i.e. 65th wedding anniversary, wedding, birthdays, and DH asking if I could knit him a beanie hat.

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.