The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Finished Stitching

(7 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Barbara Tobin
  • Latest reply from Barbara Tobin

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Tobin

I am ashamed to say that when completed all my stitching ends up in a drawer and I never do anything with it. I am now on my fifth band sampler and think it about time that I put that right. I think it will be difficult to find frames to fit them so was thinking about hanging them on bell end pulls but I not sure how to line the back. Also what do other people do with any stitching when it is finished to give it a bit of body as mine usually ends up very limp. I would really appreciate any hints or advice anyone can give me.

Thanks in advance.
    Barbara

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Rita Barron

HI Barbara! I know exactly what you mean sometimes my stitching can be a bit limp depending how much I have handled it! There will probably be lots of different ways to stiffen work depending if it is to be laundered or not and I look forward to reading them here. I have made a couple of bell pulls and I always press my work then back it with felt. I find this gives it body and the work hangs nicely. If you use white felt then no colour will bleed through to your stitching. Hope this helps! Rita

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Hi Barbara, if you give your finished work a quick spray with starch, before pressing it, cos if you're anything like me, I always have to wash the finished article. Don't use too much, I hasten to add, but it gives it a little bit of stability. However, I like the idea of lining it with white felt. I've not done anything with mine, just hung them all over the house. Let us know what you decide. Barbara

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Janet Nicholl

Best to use spray starch from a quilting shop or supplier - "Faultless" is the one I have. It's American but it does not have silicone in it. It's a large can but it lasts for ever. Spray on lightly and give it a couple of seconds to absorb before ironing or you will end up with flecks of starch on the fabric. I keep a thick white towel for my ironing board and of course, always spray and iron on the back so as not to flatten the threads. It would be a shame to spoil the look of something you have spent soooo much time on.
    I like Rita's idea of white felt. I have used an iron on fleece before and then a toning quilting cotton fabric to back with.
    PS: A light touch of Faultless and ironing the edges can also help before scoring for a folded hem - makes the fabric crease beautifully along the thread line. Good Luck. Janet

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Barbara Tobin

Thanks for your advice, it is most helpful and much appreciated. Most of my band samplers are on stitched on unbleached linen so I had been thinking of backing them with curtain lining but I do like the idea of felt so I am going to look into that. I have made a note of the starch you suggest so I shall try and get some.
    Thanks again for your help and now back to stitching.
    Barbara

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

Depends what sort of look you want. I have used quilting fabric and made a border around the embroidery as well as backing it. I did this on a Christmas design and a Halloween design. I also used a co-ordinting colour to back a piece which had Hardanger on it to show through the cut work. Good luck with the project.

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Barbara Tobin

Thanks for your advice Jean. I have found all the advice and hints you have all been kind enough to leave very helpful and hope to have some of my stitching hanging on the wall soon.
    Thanks
    Barbara

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.