The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

The Overlord Embroidery

(20 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Went to see an amazing embroidery at Portsmouth recently and thought you might like to read about it.

Starting at the beginning - I came home from the Severn Valley Railway early one Sunday back at the beginning of June and saw that Songs of Praise that week was being presented by Pam Rhodes. I particularly like her gentle, empathetic style of presentation, so switched the tv on. The programme itself was a commemorative look at the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings and was set at the D-Day Museum at Portsmouth. During the time it was on Pam was shown several times standing in front of a magnificent portrayal of the sequencing of Operation Overlord - the invasion of Normandy - and the whole thing was stitched. There are 34 panels each measuring 3ft. in height and 8 ft. in length. It was a commissioned work carried out by 20 ladies and 5 apprentices from the Royal School of Needlework and took five years to complete.

I had never heard of it and thought I simply had to go and see it. Well worth the visit so if you live in or are visiting the area I urge you to do the same. It is done in an applique style and I couldn't believe how cleverly it had been executed. Faces of well-known people were shown and they were so lifelike - how so? when basically they are scraps of material formed into face and head shapes - amazing and instantly recognisable. Uniforms too - it is well documented that the English army chaps complained that the uniforms were ill-cut and of a scratchy, itchy fabric - and there in front of me were applique'd uniforms which really looked itchy and scratchy; amost like pieces of brown blankets. I could've spent hours there, I just wandered around in a daze looking at it all.

According to the book I bought (well, more a brochure really) this embroidery was in place at the D-Day Museum at the time the Queen Mother opened it in June 1984. It then commemorated the 40th Anniversary of the Landings - and now we are at the 70th anniversary so I find it difficult to believe it's been around for 30 years and - to me - unknown.

The artist who designed it is Sandra Lawrence and her original watercolours were presented to the American Government in 1994 and are on dislay apparently in the Pentagon, Washington.

I also went and had a look round the D-Day Landings museum artefacts as well - it was all so moving. How can nations have inflicted such pain against each other. I'd like to think we've all learnt lessons and can now embrace our fellow man with love and understanding; yet look now at what's going on in the Ukraine - you can't help but sigh.

I'll bring the brochure with me to Leicester, you may wish to have a look at it.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. annew

Hi Brenda, Monica and I were discussing this Embroidery over the weekend and
    were pondering as to how we could see it.
    Do you think we could ask Jane if it would make a suitable day trip from
    Swindon.
    So pleased you enjoyed it. Anne W

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Now there's a thought Anne.. but am cross with myself now that I didn't contact you to say 'wanna come with me'. I had mentioned it to Geoff originally and although he didn't actually come to the Museum we travelled together to Portsmouth and then he went and did his own thing and we met up again later to come home. If he'd said he wasn't bothered I would've approached you both as it did cross my mind if I'm being honest.

As it was once we arrived at Portsmouth I had a bit of trouble with the buses (which I'd checked out on Google a few days before) - the No. 23, which I knew would drop me at Debenhams in Southsea, would lead me into a straight walk down the road to the building. TWO bus drivers on the No. 23 said they went nowhere near it and the third No. 23 that came along said he went someways near it but then it was a long walk. I asked 'how long' and he said 'oh a good 20 minutes'. Well, a 20 minute walk to a bus driver probably is long - let's face it, they sit on their bums all day and probably only walk from bus to car at the garage to go home! At least though he was a nice chap and helpful. The bus journey took just about 12 minutes and dropped me off at the Debenhams and there on the opposie corner was the NatWest bank just as I'd seen on Google (I dislike computers, but goodness they are useful for this kind of situation!), so I just crossed the road and set off for this 'long walk'. Well it was lovely, nice day and away from 'town' and into a sort of parkland area and it took me -!! - at least 6 minutes! so it was well worth the effort.

If you and Monica do want to go, I can easily pop down to Waterloo and meet up with you both and go and see it all again. Just let me know. I'd have to avoid the first weekend in August and a few days of the next week as I am committed to some Severn Valley stuff and I see from an e-mail from Monica that she is soon to welcome a new doggy chum into her home, so she would probably prefer it to be before that. Have a chat anyway.

If not, then it will have to be Plan B and badger Jane - maybe we could do this at Leicester! Love Brenda

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

I'd love to go and see it, so hoping to persuade the much beloved that he really fancies a drive down to Portsmouth. Its a long way from Swindon to Pompey however, so I don't know whether it would be a feasible option to think of for next years Swindon trip. Brenda, is it a permanent exhibition? Sounds absolutely fascinating, and thanks for drawing our attention to it.

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hello Barbara love, actually you have put into print what I wondered - travelling to Portsmouth from Swindon, it did occur to me it might be a lengthy coach drive, but I'm useless on 'geography' so wasn't sure. Grand to be so stupid!

In answer to your question - yes, it is a permanent exhibition. They are seeking to enhance the actual museum building, but this embroidery - hang on - I'll go and get the brochure to tell you what it says.....

"The embroidery is displayed in specially designed and lit showcases, within a circular gallery maintained at a constant temperature and humidity"..etc.etc. so it does sound (and certainly looks) very permanent.

Apparently it has been to the USA and Canada (must've been fun getting that orgaqnised!) and went to Edinburgh for a time and then was on display in the Porter Tun Room (whatever that is) at the Whitbread Brewery in London, purely I think because they had nowhere else that could take such a lengthy piece of work.

Do work your feminine charms on Bob to get him to take you - promise to get out a short skirt and black stockings to wear or something (for you not him), that might get him going. Seriously for a moment though, even though the embroidery may not be interesting to him the rest of the exhibition will - and it's all in the same building.

Do take a hanky, as some of the newsreel items are very touching. I can picture Bob with a lacy one to match the lace on the top of his stockings........

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Jane N

Swindon might be too far, but Newbury's closer. Wonder if it's close enough? Xxxx

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Brenda - forgot to mention in my e-mail about the embroidery. My daughter Annemarie and husband Matt were in Portsmouth two weeks ago and 'did' all the museums. Raved about the embroidery and when at a BBQ at theirs last Saturday I had a good look at the brochure. Yes must go there sometime. Hope to get Maisie dog mid September so a bit of a chance before then but August not too good as school hols and I have to do my Grandma bit now and then. See how we go, will talk to Anne.

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Brenda, just read your reply and suggestions, and the much beloved is sitting beside me, as I do so. Have now recovered from the hysterics that were conjured up by mental picture I got but he did appear interested in the suggestion. (About the visit, not the clothing). Apparently the route planner says it would take about two hours to get from Swindon down to Pompey, so perhaps that might not be too long after all. Its a definite possibility, so who's going to suggest it to Jane? (Don't look at me please). So as I'm still up in the air, re the house move, I might try and persuade him that he wants a trip down to the seaside.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. annew

Here comes trouble - Just to add to the confusion in Cross Stitch Collection
    they are advertising "The Eye of the Needle" exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum
    in Oxford from 1 August to 12 October. Will have embroideries from the Fuller
    collection and also some from their own archives. Lots of other things too.

I think this needs considering as another day out. Any more ideas from anyone?

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Rachel H

I don't believe it!!!! I've been visiting my son and family in Portsmouth for years and never knew about this!!! And now they've gone to SingApore!! Deep sighs all round!!

It is indeed.a lengthy journey from Swindon to Portsmouth - nearly 2 hours, 85 miles or so. Newbury is just over an hour, 55 miles, so do-able perhaps. It sounds a fabulous day out!

Looking at the news each evening, Brenda, it doesn't sounds as though mankind has learnt a lot since WW2.

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Oh no - Anne - I'm going to have to go trawling the internet now to see what the Ashmolean Museum is all about. Makes you think though - isn't it wonderful to know that there are all these things out there that other ladies have produced (sorry, - probably blokes as well - apologies gentlemen)

Relieved to hear Barbara that Bob's not into cross dressing - it reminds me though of Hyacinth Bucket's sister Violet (room for a pony) - Violet's Bruce as I recall was often reported as raiding his lady wife's wardrobe. Gloriously this was always done as 'suggestion' and I can't recall actually seeing Bruce in a frilly frock. Very clever writing.

Funny though when you think about it - if we see a bloke in a frock we would immediately smirk - well - okay - I would; and yet we ladies walk around in trousers all the time.....

Sadly too Rachel you are right - the news is dreadful - we now not only have the Malaysian Airline thing, with Syria bubbling away in the background, they've also started kicking off in Gaza again. Gordon Bennet, maybe it's time we got rid of all the men and let women rule the world.

Jane Napier too is joining in!! Hooray - hopefully this means things are going well for you. Lots of hugs to you.

Flipping hot this afternoon - don't know about the rest of you but I have no inclination to get the needle and thread out - easier to just sit around looking stupid...... (yes, I can almost feel all the responses heading my way on that one!!)

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Jane N

Bless you, Brenda, for the hugs :-) I'm doing ok, half way through - hurrah! The 3 week cycle seems to stay roughly the same: 3-4 days after the Wed chemo of feeling grotty, then another 3-4 days of feeling better but completely without energy, so incredibly frustrating! Last 12 days, gradually improving energy levels so that I can start pottering about looking after myself, meaning my fabulous son gets a break from his 'slave' duties :-) The most annoying thing is that I can't stitch. The chemo makes the ends of my fingers numb/tingly so handling a needle's a bit wierd. It does wear off over the 3 weeks but just as it's almost back to normal, it's time for the next dose - aarrrggggghhhhh! Roll on middle of Sept for the final dose :-) Love to all and looking forward to seeing you all soon, love J xxxx

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Brenda what did you start?
    I think Bruce was seen once in a dress - up a tree!!

Jane, I'm glad you're starting to get better. I'm adding my hugs to Brenda's.

Barbara do you have a moving date or are you camping out for the summer?

I'm stuck in a stuffy office & all I want to do when I get home is flake out
    Nearly the weekend then I can find the cool corner of the living room & stitch

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Barbara Stone

Don't be silly Helen! As far as I'm concerned, the tent is now my permanent home, and the cycle clips are going to be a necessity until we get the word from the solicitor. The hold up now is that they can't find out who owns the road the house is on! So we've now got to wait and see if the vendor can get an insurance against having to pay out mega bucks in case somebody comes out of the woodwork, claims the road, and puts in a bill for every time we go up the road. Why is nothing I do simple? Back to the sewing I think.
    Jane, I'm sending you more big hugs, and Helen, I hope you can find a cool corner when you get home.

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. Barbara life would be boring if everything was simple
    Went to the seaside for fish & chips last - much cooler
    Supermarket tonight - BOO !!

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. Oh Helen - wish I'd known it was fish and chip night, I'd've come with you - I'm sure Mick would've been able to find a spare seat for me on that little bike of his......

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

And me! Anything to get away from lettuce leaves and carrots.

Posted 9 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

Helen, its all your fault! Started thinking about fish and chips yesterday, suggested that we go out to the other half, and eventually ended up on Weston Super Mare seafront last night, stuffing fish and chips. Very nice it was too! Sorry Brenda, didn't think about it early enough to get you down here to come with us cos we had a spare seat in the car.

Posted 9 years ago #
  19. Barbara darling - too many fish and chips and there won't be a spare seat - it'll be a case of 'overspill'. (Miaeow)

Should be at the Severn Valley Railway for part of this weekend. Ha! we set off at 3.00 yesterday afternoon - and keeping the story short - were towed back by the AA (no, not Alcoholics Anonymous) at 10 past 7. Geoff's gone off on public transport this morning as he's rostered to work on the lunchtime train tomorrow, whereas I should've been at a meeting this morning and then coming back in the car this afternoon (I need to be here 'cos we are singing in church tomorrow lunchtime.), so it wasn't worth me going with him today. Meeting therefore cancelled.

Geoff won't be home until Monday as he has no buses tomorrow to get him to Wolverhampton - yay - that means I've got control of the Remote tonight! God is good, I've forgiven him for making me sit in a boiling car for two or so hours yesterday afternoon waiting for the AA man!

So, no fish and chips for me tonight either - no car to drive to the chip shop AND to rub salt in the wound I've got to go into Nantwich on the bus tomorrow for the singing commitment! Only one an hour but fortunately timed so I arrive at 12.55 and we have to be in our seats for 1.15 so that's okay. I can probably find someone to give me a lift back.

Seems a tad cooler here today and sky's not so blue. Seeing as I've unexpecedly got this spare time now I think I shall toddle off and get the needle and thread out....

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

It was back to the lettuce leaves and chopped carrot yesterday to make up for Fridays little adventure. Hope your audience enjoyed your singing.

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.