The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Thought for the Day!

(27 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Rita Barron

Barbara I am sure getting the bus pass at 60 can't last either way the vote goes! I have just over three years to go so I don't think I will get it the way they keep changing the goal posts!! Mind you walking to town would do me nothing but good!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Janet Nicholl

I guess that one advantage of bring old(er)! I got my pension and bus pass at 60 - but only just........ Mind you they keep muttering about taking away bus passes or means testing them which would cost more to administer than giving them out!!
    When I go into Wycombe on the bus from the end of the road I hardly see anyone "pay" just about everyone seems to have a pass....... Cheaper than parking, that is if you can find somewhere!! Downside is lugging any shopping back but it does make you think twice about some purchases........ haven't succumbed to my Mums sholley yet :-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Just have to join in on this one
    I must be the baby of the group as I have to wait until 67!!
    I wasn't impressed when my pension age went up to 65 - was hoping to finish at 55 then.
    In Leeds you don't get your bus pass until you get your state pension.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It is the case throughout England that you are not eligible for a free bus pass until state pension age.

Helen, you are most definitely a lot younger than us middle-aged ladies!

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Seeing as it wuz me wot started this thread I thought you'd like to know I attended the appointment at Specsavers this morning. I managed the stairs without assistance (!)and one extremely gorgeous young man got up close and personal round my face and stared into my eyes. I wanted to stare back into his but he told me to look at his right ear as he put a bit of machinery between me and him (ah well, the dream was too good to last....) The upshot was that my eyes are no different from last time so I haven't got to spend 'x' number of pounds on new glasses. At least that means I can now look forward to nice spends at Ally Pally and Leicester....

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Sandra Harris

Just used my bus pass for the first time. Kept looking at everyone on the bus and thought 'God I hope I don't look as old as her'. Sad I know but it was nice not having to pay. However, my husband did tell me off for telling the driver that I was using it for the first time ( actually what he said was 'he's not going to sing happy ****** birthday to you so stop telling him you're an oap !!!). OAP my foot !!! I might have my bus pass but I don't get my pension for another 4 years.
    Yes Christine it does mean that here in Wales you get you're bus pass when you're 60 but you have to live on fresh air until retirement. Still we get free prescriptions.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY :-
    Money saved for not paying on the bus will pay for my Alexandra Palace trip in October and a bit to spend on something nice. Bet the government hasn't realised they're paying me to have a good time !! I won't tell if you won't. It's our little secret.
    Love to you all

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Sssh - no-one can hear us Sandra - I won't 'tell' on you, your secret is safe.......

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.