The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Blank items for cross stitch

(9 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Julie Kelly
  • Latest reply from Rachel H
  1. Julie Kelly

I wonder if someone could help me, quite a few years ago you used to see lots of boxes and other items which can an aperture for putting cross stitch designs in. I have had a look on Google but nothing really comes up. Does anyone know of a good supplier of items that cross stitch can be inserted into?

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Auntie Beryl

Hi! Julie, A few years ago I bought aperture cards from Lidl, but I don't shop there very often and I am not sure if they still do them . I suggest you try "Sew and So" web site,they seem to have everything !

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Jean Strange

I agree with Auntie Beryl SewandSo do have a huge web site. Depending on what sort of thing you want Framecraft do bowls, boxes, coasters etc. Craft Creations has a good choice of aperture cards. If you want wooden boxes etc it might be worth looking in a couple of magazines I know there are a couple of wood workers who advertise in the needlework/cross stitch mags.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Rita Barron

Hi Julie! My local framer made me a box frame for a lace fan a few years ago. I also had a tapestry framed and he put a 'spacer' between the needlework and frame so the work wasn't touching the glass. So that might be another source for you to try!

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hello Julie. Interesting question this. Many years ago it was all the rage at the Stitching Shows at the NEc and suchlike that a lot of the stalls were selling fabric covered boxes, the lids of which were made in such a way that the top was a blank piece of aida, so's you could stitch something on it. (I've got two at home at this moment onto which I have stitched my initial). Then suddenly they must have gone out of favour and they all disappeared. What a shame! there must've been many people who were disappointed when they tried to get one a couple of years later, possibly after seeing someone else's.

Since then I found that the Viking Loom in York sold satin covered boxes in various colours with a lift out padded top on the lid - the idea being that you stitched something, covered the padded top and then stuck it back on to the lid. Now whether they still sell them I don't know, but if that's the kind of thing you are after it might be worth your while to contact them or try their website.

As Jean Strange says there are also companies who sell lovely wooden boxes, ranging in sizes, with 'seat' type tops - again with the idea of stitching something on fabric then attaching it to the seat topping. There is a company (whose name escapes me) who I've seen several times at Ally Pally with their range on show with the stuff I've described here. I tell you, you could spend serious money with them if the fancy took you, but oh goodness, what an heirloom to treasure such a thing could be! They also do firescreens and little lap trays (to display your stitching under a sheet of glass).

You know, we should maybe bring this up with Jane at a Guild weekend. If it's 'proper' boxes people want, so's they can do a stitched top - it might give Jane ideas that she can discuss with Jo, her lady wood-turner friend - now there's a thought!........

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

Just remembered a few years ago I also had some nice diaries and A5 notebooks with aperture fronts and some computer mouse mats that I put stitching in for presents. Haven't seen those for years. I think the note books and diaries were from Framecraft. Can't remember exactly where I got them but I think it was mail order. As Brenda says you could spend serious money with these people who make hand crafted stuff. Fortunately if it simple picture mounting and we can find a suitable ready made frame Jeff and I can frame as I did a basic stretching and mount cutting workshop years ago and Jeff bought me a mount cutter for a present.

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Janet Nicholl

Hi Julie
    Just a word of warning to be careful if looking on line. There are some lovely boxes available from American suppliers such as Sudberry House. I bought a shaker box able to accept a needlework inset to the lid. It was quite expensive and by the time I had paid carriage and been caught for customs duty, Import VAT and clearance fee, all of which had to be paid before the parcel was delivered, it was VERY expensive.
    Normally flatish light weight items that can come in the post are O.K. but parcels come through customs clearance and those are the ones they catch!

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Yes Janet! - so right - a warning to us all there....

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Rachel H

At the CSG weekend in Leicester last year, I bought a lovely wooden box with an aperture (and a x stitch pattern); it also came with a pack of threads. My neighbour who is a French polisher stained it for me and it looks lovely! Still no pattern done for the aperture though! I bought it from Sue who has a stall in the room, the other end from Jane!!!

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.