The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Feller Collection

(8 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Jane N
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Jane N

One of the things my foggy brain forgot to do until now was to pass on the message about an exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford of 75 of the Feller Collection's 17th Century sampers. Initially, this was going to be an apologetic message as the Exhibition closes on 12th October so very limited time left to get to see it, but I've just learnt the amazing news that Michael and Elizabeth Feller have donated 61 of the pieces on display to the Ashmolean in honour of the retiring Director, Professor Christopher Brown. So the bulk of the exhibition will stay permanently in Oxford - how incredible is that!
    One other thing to say about the exhibition: a word of thanks also needs to go to the curator Mary Brooks, who insisted that the samplers were hung 18 inches lower than the museum standard height so that we could see them properly without craning our necks :-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Jane N

Apologies to the curator, I should have more correctly named her as Dr Mary Brooks :-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Auntie Beryl

Well Done! Dr Mary Brooks . As I am only 4ft 10inches tall ( and shrinking ) everything is too high for me . But then "quality only comes in small packages".

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Tinouche24

I understand that there is a big stitch in at the Ashmolean next Saturday. Unfortunately I was too late to book in for any of the lectures.

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Sue Fisher

Just come back from the Ashmolean, it was well worth the visit. As Jane said hung at a height for viewing and hand magnifiers were supplied so you could look at the detail. Lets hope they don't hide the collection in the archives so we can go back and see it again.

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Auntie Beryl

Is the exhibition permanent ? Only I would like to put it on my Christmas list. I like to drop these ideas in to conversations at family get-together's , then I can be suitably surprised on Christmas Day when I open the envelope !

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Sue Fisher

the Exhibition ends on 12th but, some, I think it is 61 pieces, have been gifted to the Museum, I don't know if they will be on show all at once or just the odd one at a time. shall we ask Jane to get us a special viewing!

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. I like the sound of that

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.