The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

N E W B U R Y

(71 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Rachel H
  • Latest reply from Brigitte Gant

No tags yet.

1. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Some individual members of staff were really good and nothing was too much trouble for them. Shame about the things that let the hotel down overall.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. I too had a lovely time. I thought the food was really nice and could've made a real pig of myself.

Company as always was warm, companionable and welcoming - lots of hugs and kisses going the round - the silent type of communication being just as nice as the noisy variety! (and we seemed to have a lot of that - laughter - as well!!).

Feeling a bit drained this morning, still trying to do catch up on the hour's change over - but - there's an advantage to that!! - in sitting looking stupid as I just gazed out of the window - Yes!! - confirmed! - there is a House Martin flying about outside. How wonderful!. I thought I saw one last week and didn't believe myself as I feel it's still a bit too cold for them just yet, but no - there's just one brave little fellow - or fellow-ess doing his aerial acrobats outside. So it's official Spring is here with Summer trying to rush in right behind it. Yay!

Right - I'm going back to the day-job now as lunchtime is approaching so I need to get that sorted and I also want to change the bedding - which brings me back to Newbury... Still haven't fathomed out yet how we had this bloke wandering the corridors clutching clean towels and tea stuff only to leave a little card behind saying 'Barbara' has been and cleaned my room....... !

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It's so windy here today that any birds on the wing are being blown about rather than flying :o(

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Ann S

House Martins already !! I'm very jealous. There are two nests on the front wall of the house opposite ours and I am eagerly awaiting their arrival but no sign yet. Some years we had to wait until June: and, although it's bright and sunny here today it is very, very windy.

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Yes great weekend despite some short comings. Wasn't that girl lovely and keen as mustard - I would write her name if I could - Nyomono perhaps. Had a rough drive home in the wind, car was attacked by debris twice on the M4 but luckily it missed the windscreen and didn't leave any dents. Jean and I won't be at Leeds but are booked for Leicester

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Barbara Stone

It's a lie! I didn't go and clean anybody's room!
    Mary and I had problems with our bathroom door - it didn't shut properly, and the screws holding the handle onto the wood kept on falling out. We both lived in fear of being locked in and not being able to get out, if the handle came off completely.
    We both had a great time though, and as neither of us is going to either Leeds or Leicester, I'm now looking forward to another girls get together on December 6th. Even the lack of rose and white wine couldn't stop us enjoying ourselves. My husband reckons we should all wrote to the CEO of Hilton Hotels, complaining about that lack, but at the same time praising the poor lassie who was having to give us all the best news!

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

Yes lovely weekend. Think hotel needs a bit of TLC but staff were very friendly and helpful. No wine!!!!! Someone slipped up there. No one told them we were coming obviously.
    As to birds we have Blue Tits starting to build a nest in our bird box lovely watching them flying in and out with beaks full of nesting material.

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Rachel H

I have put a rather cutting review on Trip Advisor - no names, no pack drill. And I have also written to Hilton as I am a Hilton Honors Member and I feel the Group should know about the shortcomings of that hotel. My mouth is still sore from swigging back what I thought was cold water in the middle of the night, completely forgetting that the cold tap ran boiling water! Mmmm. And don't get me started on the heating or air conditioning unit in the room/cupboard next to my room which was on all night!!

Nevertheless, hotel aside, it was of course a lovely weekend, even more or less wineless!!

I don't think we've got house martins or swallows here yet, they are probably battling against the head wind to try and find East Anglia!!

I'm booked for Leeds and Leicester so will catch up with everyone there!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Barbara - what you needed was a 'long screw' on that bathroom door ........

Laughing?? - you will know what I mean - you said you nearly wet yourself at the last conversation on this subject.....

For the sake of propriety we'll leave everyone just guessing shall we...... Brenda x

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Barbara Stone

As to the birdies around here - the blue tits have put the sold sign up on the bird box, mummy blackbird is collecting nest material and taking it to her nest site, and the robin is posturing to his lady friend. The sparrows are making nests in the bushes and It's lovely to watch all the courtship displays that are taking place around here. We've got collared doves and chaffinches in the garden, not nesting yet, but the best birds, are the reed buntings that have decided that our garden is the place they want to come and feed. Rather a nice garden tick. I'm hoping that the little egrets will be attracted to our pond one day and decide to land.
    Haven't seen any swallows or martins yet, but they'll be around soon I hope.

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Brigitte Gant

I was glad to stay the Sunday night, too. Just makes the weekend that bit better for not having to pack up and lose stitching time. I was not affected by the shortage of white and rose wine as I was helping to decrease the red wine surplus. The staff were lovely and cannot be held responsible for the shortcomings. Management behind the scene did not do their job. On the whole I thought it was good. I went for the company and the stitching and they certainly did not let me down in any way. However, I am hoping for some symbols on the charts next time. I really do not like all colour ones.
    I think the medal of the weekend ought to go to Maggie for undertaking a marathon of a drive to get a sick member home. Maggie, you are a star.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.