The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Feathered Friends

(4 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Jean Strange
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Jean Strange

Hi everyone
    Have some new feathered visitors over the last week a pair of wrens have been visiting our garden. First time we have had them in the 30+ years we have lived here! Seem very unafraid hop very close to us when we are sitting in the garden. Hope they become regular visitors.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hello Jean - oh wrens are delightful little birds. They tend to keep themselves hidden away so you are very lucky to have seen them.

I had an absolute thrill of a 'spot' myself a few weeks back. I was at the railway and saw a Green Woodpecker. It was very early morning (I was actually still in my bunk, but when I sit up I can see through the window that looks out over the train running line). The chicken wire type fencing beyond that was where this bird was foraging about - on the ground? - didn't know woodpeckers did that. Anyhow, I saw this rather large bird with a flash of a red cap and a sort of pale green body and thought 'what the hell'.... Checked my Girls Book of Knowledge when I got home as I felt certain it was something woodpecker-y by the beak and there it was a coloured illustration. 32 cm long apparently (other types of woodpecker are smaller birds). Felt so chuffed to have seen it!!

Just thankful the Station moggy - Puddles - wasn't having an early morning stroll, it could've been the end of Woody!! Phew.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Jean Strange

Hi Brenda
    We have Green Woodpeckers sometimes too. I thought it odd to see it in the middle of my lawn so did some research and apparently a large part of their diet is in fact ants!! Told him to help himself to as many as he liked from the ants nests in my lawn,

As to the wrens it could be we saw them because it was very quiet and peaceful in our garden on all the occasions we saw it. All that could be heard was the song of other birds in the trees outside the garden fence.

Glad moggy wasn't around too.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

We occasionally get Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in the garden, but never had a yaffle yet. (Sorry Green woodpeckers are also known as yaffles), but everytime we unearth an ants nest, we keep on hoping they will come and help themselves. Had a great day last Sunday when we heard a Buzzard overhead, and when we looked up, we saw there were in fact eleven in the sky at the same time. Had one land in the tree in the garden, so that's a nice garden tick for me.
    Actually saw an otter in a field couple of weeks ago. I wasn't the only one to see it from the window of the train either, so I wasn't imagining things.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.