The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(For)getting the needle

(19 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Andrea Thompson
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Andrea Thompson

A few years ago the wonderful Mrs Midgley gave me a small, sharp curved needle. She told me they were hard to get hold of so I took good care of it and kept it safe. Even as recently as a few months ago I knew where it was.

This weekend I needed it.

Could I find it??? Not a chance.
    I think it's playing hide and seek with me.
    No doubt I'll find it again in the safe place where I've stowed it, but not until I no longer need it.

On another note, while I was searching for it I found 3 stashes of safety pins...

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

So, some good came of it then!

When's your CSG subscription due? The gift for this year contains (amongst other things) a gold-plated curved needle. Just saying....

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Andrea Thompson

Oooo good stuff! I have to wait until November for mine.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

November's not all that far off now.........

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Oh, wish I'd known about the missing needle! I bought some more when I went to Festival of Quilts - I'd've pinned one in your birthday card (today!!)

Your box looks absolutely brilliant in Itch to Stitch but I chortled when I read that Jane mentions you are to be designing future items (plural - note!!) - hope you've got the thinking cap on......

In the meantime - happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Andrea (all join in now - rousing final chorus) - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU..........

(Just hope everyone sang in tune - Crewe's rendition of course was note perfect....
    even if it did have a cockney accent...suppose it came out as 'appy berfday really.....

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Brenda

My light, but pleasing, soprano was raised in soaring descant to your delightful alto rendition of that well-known tune.

I hope Andrea appreciates the many talents of her various friends.......

C x

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Always said Wilmslow'n'Crewe were a good team.....

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Ginny McCoy

I've just renewed by subscription, and the lovely needles in the little folded paper box arrived this morning. The curved one is soooo useful, so I hope I can manage to hold on to mine - to me needles are like biros, you can never find one when you want it!

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Oh sounds as if you too like to use a curved needle Ginny. I've grown used to them over a period of time and find there are occasions when only a curved one will do. Having said that though - some folk just can't get along with them. I can see why as you can feel very 'cackhanded' with them initially and have to work a little more slowly until you get used to the feel of them in your fingers - they feel so totally different from a usual 'straight' needle.

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Andrea Thompson

Thank you for your wonderful rendition of Happy Birthday :-)

Luckily it has now been ruled out of copyright so there are no legal issues. ;-)

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Has it? I thought it was still in copyright and if they use it in a film, say, they have to cough up a royalty.

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Heck, no - a quick Google reveals that Ms Thompson (Moderator of This Parish) is absolutely correct! Apparently, a few days ago: "Judge George H. King ruled that a copyright filed by the Summy Co. in 1935 granted only the rights to specific piano arrangements of the music, not the actual song."

I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Andrea......

(and it was a lovely rendition)

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Andrea Thompson

I heard it on the news. There was doubt over whether time Warner even owned the rights to the words, let alone the music. So now it can be sung in films and on TV without fear if being sued!

Posted 8 years ago #
  14. Andrea Thompson

Would just like to say how exciting it was to check my post box and discover a second birthday card from the Wonderful Mrs. Midgley with a curved needle inside it!!!

It was so lovely, thank you so much!! :-)

Now I need to decide on the place to keep it where I'll find it again!

:-D

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. Auntie Beryl

When you have decided on your "safe place" post it on the forum . Surely , at least one of us will remember .! !

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Or tell us at craft club.........

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. Bloody 'ell Andrea - I thought that was going to be just a quiet little move between we two - now everyone knows........ You are doing my reputation no good whatsoever.

Can't offer any suggestions for a safe place, but will offer a bit of advice - don't pin it to your knickers or you'll get stabbed in the bum every time you bend over..... Come to think of it though - you won't forget where it is will you!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Personal experience, Mrs Midgley?

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Does sound like it, doesn't it? Ouch!

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.