The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Exeter craft show

(4 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Barbara Stone
  • Latest reply from SallyH

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Stone

I know that Exeter Stitching show isn't as big as Ally Pally or Olympia, but if you go to a stitching show, wouldn't you expect to be able to buy cross stitch supplies? I visited Westpoint show ground last week, paid my entrance fee, and expected to be able to buy the things I needed. Some hope! There were only two stalls selling DMC threads, and they didn't have the full range, no other make of threads were being offered, and only one stall selling Gutterman sewing thread, and they only had the main colours. (Black, white, grey etc.) I could buy patchwork material, wool, stencils, and If I'd wanted to buy a rolling pin that made impressions of stars, then I'd have been fine, but thread at a stitch show, well no chance. Am I expecting too much, or has anybody else been to a show where they've been disappointed?

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Never been to the Exeter show Barbara, but I think stitching stalls generally are not as much to the fore as they used to be. That's not to say they are not there at all, but handicraft things seem to go in swathes - for instance for a few years knitting came very much back in vogue and I found the majority of stalls at AP to be very knitting orientated. Then we had card making which took over and simply everybody made cards.

Also of course smaller shows, I have found, seem to concentrate more on stitching kits and therefore supplies of just threads themselves seem not to take centre stage. I've been up to the SECC a couple of times and although I enjoyed the shows, the stitching stuff seemed to be based all around kits. Having said that - there's no criticism intended as you can sometimes see things indigenous to the area which are not then repeated at say Ally Pally. The SECC for instance - now was it last year or the year before when I went - can't remember now - but they had a display of a knitted village and I spent ages looking at it - it was absolutely delightful! Knitted houses, churches, schools, village green and on looking at the gardens of the houses - rows of knitted lettuces, knitted carrots, knitted leeks - I tell you it had me in tucks of delight, I chortled at the fun of it. Never seen it on display anywhere else since though.

Also at the time of the knitting buzz - who can forget at Ally Pally the life size knitted red Ferrari that featured in the front hall - simply amazing.

I think given a bit longer the whole thing will turn back round to our type of stitching being top of the league again and you will be able to get whatever you want. In the meantime I bet there are plenty of Guild members who can tell you from where they buy their threads at very reasonable cost and with prompt delivery.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Auntie Beryl

I have not been to a craft show for years .they never have anything that appeals to me . I used to enjoy them but everything looks so "tatty" now .I like to think my standards have improved but I suppose its an "old=age " thing.! Anyway, I am sure Jane will have something lovely for us at Leicester.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. SallyH

Although it's the nearest exhibition to me I stopped going to Exeter a few years back as each time I went I got more and more disappointed that I couldn't find the items I'd gone for so now although it's a long day and a long journey I go to Olympia and Ally Pally. They are far better and worth the travelling.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.