The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Racing/Homing Pigeons

(13 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Rachel H

No tags yet.

1. Now this is going to sound really daft, but - fellow stitchers - I have every faith in you.....

Is there one of you out there somewhere who has a dad or uncle or something who knows a bit about racing/homing pigeons??

I have had a beautiful bird turn up in the garden - instantly recognisable that he was not your average bird. He's been around for a couple of days and was fortuitously perched on the roof of the conservatory this morning just as I was in the kitchen so I was able to get a more close up view of him. He has a yellow band on his left leg with a number on it. I'm not going to disclose that at this point but I was able to see it quite clearly as I had grabbed my binoculars before he flew off. He looks to me as if he could be quite a valuable bird and it would be wonderful if I could do something about getting him back to his owner.

So - my question is this - does anyone know if there is some kind of registry whereby I could find out, via his leg number, just who he belongs to??

I'm going to try Googling as well, see if that turns up anything ...... flippin' 'eck - haven't we all got enough to do at the moment without sorting out bloody birds as well.....

He's eating well, has no injury, so has probably just gone 'off course' as he's been flying somewhere.

Come to think of it, I'd like to fly off somewhere an' all at the moment......

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Rachel H

Well, here's interesting! Sadly I know absolutely diddly squat about pigeons, racing, homing or pie!!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Oh - groan - trust you to bring food into it Mrs. Harman..... I would've thought though with you being from a more elevated level than me it would be game pie rather than pigeon.....

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Brenda, the one who knows everything, or thinks he does at least, (aka my other half), reckons that there is a register of pigeon fanciers in the Crewe area, and they should be able to tell you who owns the bird. Hope you manage to contact the owners so the bird can go back, otherwise the local cat might be licking his lips in anticipation. He did suggest Google, but you've already thought of that.
    Good luck with tracking down the owner.

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Carol

The royal racing pigeon society is about half a mile away from me in Cheltenham. They apparently have a record of all the registered birds, provided your visitor is a pigeon that is.

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Ha! - knew I'd get some sensible advice from someone on this subject (apart from Rachel who can only seem to think about food.....)!!

Have been doing some research on stray birds and have found a link where you can report them. Went onto the site you mention Carol and that was interesting as I was able to see registration details - but none of them show numbers like 'my' one - and all have GB or something in front - which mine doesn't have.

Anyway, he/she has now been reported and we'll see what happens. In the meantime there is plenty of nosh for birds in the garden so it won't go hungry.

I dunno though, this time last year I was fretting about a Moorhen who took up residence for about a month (he did eventually bugger off), this year it's a pigeon, so I shall say watch this space - I could have a flippin' swan next year!! (Oh - and over the years I've twice had a parrot too! One got frightened off by a Siamese cat (Oscar from over the back) and the other one belonged to an owner a few streets away and - courtesy of my window cleaner who recognised him - was re-claimed by his dad. (The parrot's dad that is, not the window cleaner's dad......)

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Barbara Stone

Is he coo-ing in a foreign language Brenda?

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Carol

I always knew I was sensible despite what everyone says. Sorry you have a foreigner visitor Brenda, don't tell Donald Trump he will have him/her deported.

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Well, he hasn't said Bon Jour yet when I take his breakfast out to him - but he is beginning to recognise me I think as he stays on the conservatory roof until I put the food out and then flies down. Doesn't seem bothered to have a human fairly close by. Is a bit wary of the squirrels though.

Nothing has come back from my entry on the 'Strays' site that I found, so it looks as though he might be with me for a bit. The last couple of days he's come for his breakfast and then toddles off somewhere out of sight for the rest of the day - so I'm hoping that it is indicative of the fact that he's flying about somewhere trying to get his bearings for his home. I am maybe therefore just a 'pit stop' 'cos he was tired and hungry.

I'm busy this morning doing odds and ends of jobs until The Big Day arrives. Nice and sunny and blowy in Crewe this morning so I've just put a line of washing out - I feel hopeful that it will dry! How lovely after days of the dryer churning away and the electricity bill going up as a result....

Must ask Carol - do you intend wearing the tiara on Chistmas Day? - whatever you do though you mustn't outshine Her Majesty when she has her 10 minutes of fame in the afternoon......

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Carol

Wow Brenda I never thought about wearing the tiara for Christmas. It depends whether it goes with the bikini, it's so warm here! More like the med than sunny (not) Gloucestershire.

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Hi Brenda
    How is your little friend? Still with you, or gone to pastures new?

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. Hello Helen, Just found this. Have had my lunch and decided to come onto the computer to go onto a music website and thought I'd have a look at the Forum first...... and here you are!

Feathered friend is still with me - now goes under the name of Percy (Percy the Pigeon - well, Charles Dickens was fond of alliteration so who can argue with him! so my little chum is now Percy). He's looking fine, although I have to confess to feeling anxious about him during these very cold nights we've had recently. He perches on top of our conservatory for part of the day and then flies off not to be seen again until breakfast the next morning. Birds have a higher body temperature than we humans, but even so he doesn't perch on any of the tree branches, just the conservatory roof as I mentioned; so quite how he keeps himself warm with nothing to snuggle into I don't know.

My window cleaner came last week - the font of all knowledge of things going on in this area (!) and I was hopeful he might know something of a missing bird, but he doesn't - so - it looks as if Percy is here to stay. I've got rather atached to him now so if he wants to continue living with Auntie Brenda that's fine by me.....

Off now to my music website until the tumble dryer finishes doing its stuff, then a little meander into the conservatory where a needle and thread await me.......

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Rachel H

1. I never expected to see posts about racing pigeons! After my chastise from Mrs M, I've gone off food and am now considering taking a degree or Masters in Pigeon Fancying. That's Pigeons, girls, not anything else!

2. I feel photos of 2-Tiara Carol on Christmas Day clad in bikini and tiara are a must for Swindon!

3. I shall be attending at Swindon, but I'm not sure I want to do the visit. Is there anyone else who would rather stitch on the Saturday?

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.