The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

mistaken identity!!!

(9 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Rachel H
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Rachel H

Well, there I was at the kitchen window, washing up (as I have been known to do) while the vegetables were cooking (as I have also occasionally been known to do!), when this lady walks past the window on the pavement, in the direction of the town centre.

I did a double take!! I rushed to the front door, rushed outside and shouted "Brenda, Brenda".... This lady turned round and I rushed up and hugged her and asked her if she was looking for our house and why hadn't she let me know she was coming!!

The aforementioned lady looks at me as though I am bonkers.... no comments, please. I step back (from the hug!) and see, lawks a lordy, it isn't Brenda but an absolute Doppelganger!!!!

Not sure who was more embarrassed; me probably! She was SO like Mrs M that it was quite unnerving!! We exchanged a few inane pleasantries, as you do when you've lavishly hugged the wrong person. And I returned to the kitchen.

To find the vegetables had boiled over, I'd left the tap on and that had filled the sink! Luckily not overflowing!!

Note to self: Either: Don't look out of the kitchen window, OR don't go in the kitchen. No contest!!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Jean Strange

Oh Rachel think I agree no contest!

Had an experience a bit like that years ago. I was applying for jobs had an interview in Bristol (home then) we were actually on holiday in Cornwall so got train to Bristol and back. Stood on Taunton station became aware that a lady stood further down the platform was staring at me. She walked up the platform and said "I'm so sorry but you are the absolute image of my best friend in the States. I really couldn't believe it." Then she said "It must be a compliment if God created two of you!!" Mind you I have had friends say they have seen me in places I've never been.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Different topic but about strange meetings. On Tuesday as I went down my drive I was accosted by a very elderly lady who asked for directions. She then forgot where she wanted to go. We got over that and then her false teeth fell out! Happy to say that she did turn round and drive past me quite competently, teeth and all. Hope she arrived safely.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Same thing happened when I lived in Kent. I was approached by a lady in the village shop, who started "I didn't know you'd moved down here" She then carried on talking about people she had been at school with, and I had absolutely no idea what or who she was talking about. She did apologise, and we eventually became good friends. However, I did meet the person who she had been confusing me with, some time later, and it was like looking in a mirror, same hairstyle as well. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for the doppleganger or not! We weren't related at all either, cos we did get talking about that possibility

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Only just caught up with this....what a cheek...that woman walked off with MY hug...!

As for Rachel - never heard of Specsavers luv??

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Rachel H

Indeed, Brenda, "Should have gone to Specsavers"!!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Rachel - indeed - especially as it's taken you 6 days to read my reply!!

Wonder if that poor woman is still walking round Bury St. Edmunds pondering on which institution you'd escaped from.......

Ha! - daft or what.......

On a more lovely and different train of thought - I've just come off the 'phone to Jane - and I am now all booked up for Sheffield...Yay!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Brenda, what did Sheffield do wrong!!
    Seriously, it'll be great to see you again

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Hello Helen love - oh - so you're off to Sheffield too - haven't seen you for a bit so it will be lovely to do some catching up.

How are the girls doing in this cold weather - bet they don't like the chilly drafts up their kilts.......

Come to that I bet you and Mick haven't been off to the seaside to eat fish and chips this year yet......

Funnily enough I thought of you just the other day. I was having a clean up round the house and was polishing along the top of the sideboard (where I keep stitched items on display) and lo and behold there was your dear little four sided flop down thingmybob you made me. I picked it up, kissed it and said 'hello Helen' and put it down again..... yes, I know nutty as fruitcake - one of these days men in white suits are going to come for me........ just hope I can take the stitching with me.....

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.