The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

March Newsletter

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Once again we receive a lovely Newsletter in our e-mail inboxes from Andrea today. How lovely too to see a free chart of a Peace Rose from Jane (and with many thanks from us)....

I wonder though if Jane is aware of the significance of the name of this particular rose. If my memory serves me correct..... this beautiful flower was named Peace as it came into being at the end of the Second World War.......in the hope of course that Peace would form our future world.

Back in 1974 Geoff and I moved from Buckinghamshire to Cheshire....and to a bungalow in Nantwich, in a street called Brown Avenue. In our front garden we'd inherited a Peace Rose. This had a significance in that setting too as Brown Avenue was so named after an American Pilot, lst Lieutenant Arthur L. Brown, who, when flying in his Thunderbolt plane sadly crashed on the 14th January 1944, but who by skilful engineering managed to avoid the town of Nantwich.

His plane and body were not recoverable and so the local community placed a memorial stone on top of the spot where the wreckage and body is buried. It is a very fine and dignified memorium to this gentleman.

The Peace Rose...how apt it is that Jane should choose this particular one as once again we seem to be fighting a war, one with devastating effects - called Coronavirus.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. What a lovely story of a very brave man

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.