The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

[closed]

Next year

(124 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Christine Berrett

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Stone

Sorry everybody for my bad language. I didn’t mean to swear!

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

We'll let you off this time, as it's you ;o)

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Thank you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Just to let you all know I finally have a chair !!
    Mick is putting it together now, so I can try it out later

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

Thank goodness, some good news at last! Enjoy your chair.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Oh - that's brilliant Helen - at long last! Funnily enough I was thinking of you earlier on this morning and wondering if the chair had arrived....so now I know - it has.

Hope you have many happy hours sitting in it with your stitching in hand.

Into our second rain-free day here today....so after five attempts which had to be aborted - I have finally got two chaps in the garden tidying up our conifers. A bit of a major job this....and one which needs to be approached with diplomacy...... Our garden at the back comes to a point and there are about 5 other gardens whose own point meets up with it (so it looks a bit like the top or bottom of an orange) Our dilemma is caused by some neighbours wanting the trees chopped back quite a bit - 'too tall', but other neighbours cry that we are making them lose their privacy if the trees are chopped back too much. A classic case of 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' (and never mind just how Geoff and I would like to see them!)

Hope you are not suffering too much with the restrictions of the wretched virus again - I know Yorkshire has been earmarked as a hotspot area - but Yorkshire is a big place so exactly where you sit in it is something I don't know. As for the north west - in whose area we fall - we are fortunate to be on the fringes in Crewe so just come in Tier 2 instead of the level of Tier 3 that Liverpool and Manchester are subjected to.

Anyway....I must away....conifer chopping seems to be a very thirsty job and I must go again and put the trolley dolly uniform on. Need to keep these lads sweet......

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Manchester is fighting to remain out of Tier 3 at the moment

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Yup, I stand corrected on that point Mrs. Berrett.......

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. I have to remove Mick from it before I can enjoy the chair - tomorrow has been designated a stitching day.

Brenda, different parts of Yorkshire are in different tiers - as you say it is a big county.
    Leeds is Tier 2 & York just went in to Tier 2 yesterday, other areas will still be Tier 1. No Tier 3 areas yet, but I do feel the Government has it in for the Northern counties. However, having driven past our local senior school this morning I'm not surprised. It has up to 2000 pupils & I saw very few masks & even less distancing between kids of different ages !!

Anyway while we can still travel, we're having a couple of days away next week. Going to the National Memorial Arboretum near Burton on Trent. We went a few years ago, but it is too large to do all in one day so we are staying overnight & taking our time to go round it - in the rain I think !!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Just tell Mick that it's the little chick's chair! and if he doesn't get out of it, he won't get no tea!!! (what wonderful grammar....)

As for tomorrow being designated a stitching day - yay! - good on you girl - does that mean we can all have a designated day for the same reason tomorrow? We can each sit at home stitching and think of each other doing the same.....

Glad to hear you can get away next week for an overnight. Wrap up warm and keep toasty. Got my fingers crossed for you that the rain will stay away while you are there....

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Jean Strange

Morning nice bright morning here at the moment.

Helen glad you have your chair at last!! I’m about to go and sit in the conservatory with a coffee and possibly do some stitching and knitting. Hope you have a nice couple of days away. Jeff wants to go to the caravan for the Halloween weekend as the Sunday is clay pigeon shooting club again.

Our daughter and grandsons were due to visit this coming weekend but as Rotherham is in tier 2 alert can’t now come. We had booked a professional photo shoot to get some good family photos unfortunately now cancelled. Spoke to grandsons last week day Boris put them in lockdown again. They said “we will come and see you as soon as we are allowed, if ever”. What an idea for a 5&7 year old to have.

As for this MP who thinks we should have lockdown every half term I don’t think what I want to say about that is printable. Half terms or school holidays are the only opportunities we get to see our daughter and family as it is approximately a 4 hour drive. During term time that is just not feasible on Friday evening after school and home again on Sunday afternoon. Plus having to make arrangements for the dog to be looked after.
    Don’t know when we will see them again now. Making up a parcel for Hermes with all the things we were going to give her this weekend.

Not sure if I will be able to keep my appointment at Kings in November either think that may be another telephone consultation. I think the Chinese have a lot to answer for as this virus seems to have originated there.

Never mind off for that coffee and stitching. At least I have plenty of stitching and knitting projects to keep me going. Waiting for some wool that I have on order with a local knitting and stitching shop, plus Fiona and I did a joint order for The Historical Sampler Company to get free P&P so lots to keep me busy.

Keep safe and well everyone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Brenda, threatening Mick with no tea doesn't work as he does all the cooking !!

When I went down to working 4 days a week I was supposed to get a stitching day in return. It doesn't always work out that way as I do some contract work & end up working Fridays or a bit on Friday & a bit on Saturday - depends on whether Mick is working or not on Saturday. The money is too good to turn down & helps pay for holidays, the extension, treats, etc.

We may get wet on Wed, but Thur is looking better.

Jean, sorry you can't see the family - it's a real pain not knowing what is happening from one day to the next. & so sad the little ones don't when they will see you again. At least at the caravan you can stay away from other people.

On a positive side I have finished all the stitching for the Mouse House - the last piece needs to be pressed & fitted to the attic room. I then have to put the sparkly felt I have on the outside of the house to make it look like a winter house.
    Not sure what I'm going to do next, but I am still knitting baby clothes so I think I'll finish them before starting a new project

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Don’t know about getting wet on Wednesday- it’s chucking it down here on the Scillies at the moment, and still blowing half a gale! Coming over on the boat this morning wasn’t much fun for a lot of people - the sea was extremely rough, and a lot of people were suffering - not me, cos I was asleep! Getting up at 3 am to drive down to Penzance will do that to a girl. Bought all the stitching with me, but don’t think I’ll be doing much, unless the weather is so bad that I can’t walk round the island.
    Sorry you won’t see the family again Jean - lockdown might do some good in reducing infection rates, but it completely mucks up family life, and being able to see members of the family.
    Helen, we all want to see the Mouse House - please make sure you bring it to Swindon with you.
    Hope everybody is keeping well, and will be in touch when I get back home.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Barbara Stone

Good job I bought the stitching with me! Yesterday went out for a bird watch, as the rain had stopped, but within 10 minutes of going out, the rain came down harder than ever. I was soaked through to the undies (and that’s despite having wet weather gear on), so came back to the flat, got changed, and stitched all afternoon! Might even get my project finished if the weather is diabolical, before I go home!
    Hope you are all okay, despite the restrictions imposed by the various tiers of lockdown you are in, and managing to get some stitching in.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It's the stitching wot keeps us sane {twitch}

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Hello girls,
    Saturday and the weather isn't being very kind today. With the clocks going back overnight we shall at least get an extra hour in bed in the morning, but our evenings now of course will be dark much earlier. I feel like winter is heading towards us!!

Perhaps by now Barbara you are on your way home from the Scillies - I can't recall how long you were going for - just hope though that it hasn't rained the whole time. I hope too you have a better journey coming home on the boat than you had going......

No doubt by now Helen you are settling into your chair quite nicely - I like to think of you working away with your stitching and enjoying yourself - especially now the Mouse House is finished ! - Hooray!! I was trying to think the other day - it's been a couple of years now - maybe more - in the making hasn't it - and was looking good the last time I saw it. I remember you bringing it to a Guild weekend - and it feels like some time ago now.

Don't want to think about Guild weekends - haven't we all missed them this year....... I'm keeping every crossed that Swindon next year will still be on the agenda - we'll all be going grey by then if it isn't - oh no, hang on, I'm already grey......oh well, no change there then.

What a pity about not seeing your daughter and grandchildren Jean. I'd like to encourage you into thinking that it might happen for you at Christmas, but the way things are going at the moment I'm not holding my breath on that one.

November is approaching...so that means two things to look forward to - a Newsletter from Andrea and our Guild magazine in due course. Let's all keep smiling (even if we have to use some Superglue to make it stick !!)

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

Coming home tomorrow (hopefully) and the forecast isn’t as bad as they thought it would be. Weather has been okay, bit damp at times, but not as bad as it was, at the start of the week.
    Haven’t managed to finish the project. Got a few more flowers to do, and the backstitch, but won’t be doing any of that on the boat. Hopefully, I’ll be sleeping!
    Hope the chair is all that it’s cracked up to be Helen, and you've been able to get some use out of it, once you've dragged Mick out of it!
    Looking forward to the newsletter in November like Brenda, - bit sad really that that is all we’ve got to look forward to.
    Brenda, you’re not the only one with a touch of grey - I found one myself this morning - lucky that blonde can hide it. Thank God for hairdressers!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Hi Ladies
    Another wet morning - it was lovely & starry when I went to bed last night !!

Caught Mick having a sneaky rock in the chair last night - think I should get a 2nd one.

Brenda, the Mouse House you saw was No. 1, this is No. 2 I have finished & it would have been at Leicester with me. I am going to take some pictures & try to put on the CSG facebook page - it will come up with Mick's name next to it though. If you & Jean get Christine to send me your email addresses I'll send the pictures directly to you.

Barbara, hope you had a good break.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

If anyone wants Helen to get in touch, please leave a note on this thread and I will contact her with email addresses.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Thanks Christine

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.