The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(244 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. Jean, did you get the email that I sent you with some photos on it?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. Jean Strange

Yes thank you Helen I got the photos of the antique needle book. It really is tiny. As you say the ribbon seems to be put on the same way as mine. Hope you are getting on well withe your Faux Ivory Needle Book. I enjoyed making mine even though the making up was fiddly.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Hi Jean, it's all pressed & ready for me to start making up.
    I framed 2 pictures on Sunday & decided that was enough, The needlebook will get done this weekend - I need to figure out exactly how I'm going to finish it.
    When it's all done all send some pictures

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Just had a weekend in the sunshine camping with some of our bike friends
    It was so good to be able to get out of the house, to see people and talk to them face to face

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Hope everyone is well
    I have finally put the Faux Ivory Needlecase together & will be taking it to Leeds.
    I will take some photos this week & share with you

Mick had his 2nd jab last week, so we are now both fully done
    We both reacted badly to his jab - he had what he called a "large" head and has been really tired.
    I managed to get a summer cold the same day - the end of my hayfever season.

Any way had my brother & niece to stay for the weekend - never get to see that much of them when they come up as he uses me as a place to stay & then goes out to see his friends !!

Weather has felt stormy the last few days, but nothing happens

Actually did some stitching out on the patio yesterday

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Do any of you know the best way to stop the ends of a piece of ribbon from fraying?

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It probably depends on the ribbon and what you’re using it for.

Generally, I find cutting a narrow ribbon on the diagonal or a wider ribbon in a 'swallowtail' suffices, but they don't then get subjected to rough wear or much washing.

Ask around at Leeds (only 7 sleeps to go)

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Thanks, I intend to ask round
    My hair ribbons when I was little had swallow tails

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. Hi
    How is everyone?
    We've all been quiet for a long time

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. Hello Helen, We have probably all got 'tunnel vision' seeing only red crosses on white flags at the moment.....aren't England doing well. I sat enthralled watching them play against Denmark last night (didn't fall asleep once through the evening like I normally do!!)

Roll on the weekend when we can see them playing against Italy. Geoff tells me Italy have played something like 30 games and won them all so it sounds like the Final is going to be a fierce match. I shall be bouncing around on the sofa cheering them on so I hope you will all be doing the same.......

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. Hi Brenda
    I'm so surprised England have done so well - expected them to lose to the Germans
    I think Italy are going to win, but hope we can manage to beat them

I haven't sent you any pictures of the CSG bags as only Barbara & myself had ones with stitching on at the Leeds weekend - she is going to send you a picture of hers & you've seen mine

There were lots of lovely things the ladies had done though to look at. It was a really good weekend & so nice to meet up with people again

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Hi Brenda, sorry I forgot to send you the photo of my bag, will do so when I can. In the meantime, I’m working out how I can get rid of the other half on Sunday evening, cos I’ll be wanting to watch the match, and he won’t! Might have to go and spend the evening In the cabin, in order to watch it on a decent sized screen. However, I’ll have to get the van packed before then, cos we’re off on holiday on Monday morning early!
    Helen, thanks for reminding me. Barbara

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. Don't worry girls about not sending pictures of the bags.....I think Andrea intended doing a couple anyway so they may be in the next magazine, or the one after. I shall definitely take mine to Leicester so we shall hopefully see a few more there anyway.

I was pleased to hear you all had a lovely weekend at Leeds. A real treat after such a long abstinence from the weekends and seeing our stitching friends.

Hope you have a good holiday Barbara - don't worry about e-mailing before then, your time will just rush by by in a blink whilst trying to sort the van, what to pack, watching the footie and making sure you don't forget anything in the stitchy line.

We've had a lot of rain on and off here the last few days and I'm chuffed to little mint balls that I managed to get our back lawn mowed this morning. It had grown so long with the rain we have had - couldn't believe how heavy the collecting basket was on the mower when I came to empty it - and I was only half way through the lawn at that point. We've had some lunch and I am back off out into the garden again to do some pottering and titivating (well, there's also a pile of ironing but that's not half so appealing....)

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. Barbara, hope you have a lovely holiday. Is this the trip to Scotland?

Brenda, spend the time in the garden while it's nice - ironing will keep.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Yes, this is the Scottish holiday - Skye and then pootling home again, hopefully via Rutland water, so I can see my mum! Have just spent all morning in the garden, and all afternoon yesterday. Managed to pick 9 pounds of gooseberries, 5 pound of cherries and there are still about a couple of pounds left on the tree for the birds, loads of raspberries, jostaberries (cross between a gooseberry and a black currant) and about 3 pounds of white berries! Everything is ready for picking at the wrong time! I know that I’ll have to be busy in the garden when we get back, but it’s been so wet lately, I cant get out to cut the grass! Never satisfied us gardeners!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. Hi

Hope you are all well & coping in the heat
    I have a wedding sampler I need to finish, but my hands keep getting too hot :(

Barbara, did you have a good holiday?

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I think Barbara is still away?

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. Jean Strange

Hi everyone
    Just too hot!! I have stitching I want to finish but like Helen hands getting too hot plus suffering badly from the high pollen levels. Affects my eyes so find concentrating on my stitching difficult. Have managed some knitting as I am making a couple of cotton cardigans for myself.

Starting to sort bits to take on our holiday to North Devon with our daughter Judith and the family. We are then bringing the grandsons home with us to stay for about 10 days. Looking at places to take them know of a number of places just finding out what special things are going to be on in August.

Hope it cools down a bit soon so I can sit in the conservatory in a comfortable temperature again.

Stay safe and cool.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Barbara is still away as you say Christine, as I type this, I’m sitting in the sun in a campsite near Belfield in Northumbria, the weather is glorious, and I’m having a great relax. We’ve got two days here, then two days near Rutland Water, and hopefully a day with my mum before we get home again. Skye was lovely, the weather wasn’t - you lot had temperatures in the 30’s, we had mist, rain and a temperature of 16 degrees! But we enjoyed it. Found s great stitching shop on Skye, and she does all her own designing. Had to buy a couple of kits and charts. That’s something I can get on with when I’m home! Speak to you all again soon.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. Sounds like you are having a brilliant time Barbara - really pleased for you. The kits and charts from the shop on Skye sounds interesting. I was also interested to read of the temperature on Skye. I had noticed through the week when watching the weather charts that Lerwick has consistently featured at 13 or 14 degrees whilst the rest of us has had 26's to 29's. I said to Geoff - 'whatever you do don't ever ask me to move right up there 'cos I won't go'. (We have in the past moved about the country a bit because of his job - now he's retired though it won't happen again)

Have been browsing the Inspirations magazine weekly Newsletter this morning - and it brought to my attention that the 30th July is World Embroidery Day. Probably some of you already knew this, but I didn't. It's made me think now that is there something I have that I could start to mark this particular day......possibly put something on my band sampler I suppose. Yes, - that's maybe a good choice then it won't need to be something big - just a token to mark the day.....ooh...now there's a nice thought. After lunch I can sit with a cup of tea and browse a few books or something for ideas on a motif that might be ideally suitable......

Cooler here today so maybe you are enjoying a lower temperature same as me - hope so anyway, the really hot stuff is nice for a short burst but doesn't suit me for it to go on for too long.

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.