The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(244 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. Jean Strange

Morning
    Glad to see a post from you Brenda. Yes second jab in about 12 weeks like you. My surgery had basically closed except for Covid jabs. You went in what is normally the back door and then were directed to a consulting room. So nice as it felt private even though you were in a long queue really. They had 7 rooms available. Then you had to sit in the reception area for the 15 minute wait.

Noticed Joe Lycett is the guest on Jamie and Jimmy,s Friday Night Feast program on Channel Four at 8pm tomorrow. Can’t wait to see what they get him cooking for their guests in the cafe.

Hope to watch Jane tomorrow if not I shall have to catch up on YouTube like Brenda.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

Morning everybody, well, the forecast for yesterday was appalling, but the weather wasn’t as bad as it could be, and today it’s dry and sunny, if s bit cold.

Helen, I’ve booked for Leeds. Don’t expect I’ll be able to have a holiday this year, as circumstances won’t let us get away, so I think I’m going to let the train take the strain, and go up in comfort, and return the same way. Expensive, but safer than driving.

My mum had her jab last week, they gave her several alternatives for the time and date, and she was done quite quickly, but Mary Hopper, who is also over 80, hasnt even got anywhere near her where she can have the jab. I think Kent is going to be one of the last areas to be done. In Somerset we’ve got 4 large places we can go when we get the call, including our local hospital.
    Glad some of my friends have had their jabs, and hope everybody else will get theirs soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Good to hear how you're all getting
    When they put up the lists of groups for the jab I'm in group 9 & Mick is in 8 because he's older than me, so we will be among the last to get done on the current plan

Barbara glad you've booked for Leeds. The train is probably the best option from where you live - hoping my chauffer will take me, otherwise it will be a train or bus

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. It must be very disappointing for those more elderly people who have not yet had the call to have their jab; when others of us seem to just be falling lucky all the time at an earlier age. I hope though that they carry on at a steady pace so that those younger ones of you will get seen to before the Leeds weekend comes up. I'm not booked on that one, but I have no doubt that you are all looking forward to it so much.

Fabulous picture in the Radio Times this week of Helvellyn. I recognised Striding Edge straight away as Geoff and I walked it back in the early 70's. I lost a red woollen glove up there and can still remember Geoff yelling at me, as I looked over the edge to see where it had gone, and his words of 'watch where you're putting your bloody feet or you'll be bloody joining it'.....

Don't think I'd have the energy to get up there these days let alone walk 'the edge'....

Good to see the numbers of the virus are beginning to ease somewhat. Those poor people working in the NHS must be feeling as if they are on their knees with the constant relentless demands on their time and energy.

Off now to bring up Jane on Youtube. Just wish though that we could get channel 72 - much more comfortable to flop on the sofa and watch it on television than my little 'sit up and beg' chair in front of the computer screen.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Oh - I meant to add Helen - no, I've never noticed John's ring. I'm intrigued, I'll look out for it now.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It was Vicky on with Jane rather than John Scott, but I know the ring you mean. It is made to look like a sewing needle wrapped around the finger. He got it when he was on Sewing Quarter. I don't believe it has any particular significance, though.

Google "silver ring shaped like a sewing needle" to see the sort of thing...

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

Hello from a snowy Berkshire. Have had a couple of hours heavy snow here. Took pictures of the lovely snowy scene from our back bedroom window. We have an area of trees and undergrowth there. Stopped snowing now don’t know if it’s thawing a bit but suppose we might get more later on today.

How is everyone else fairing?

Jeff had his Covid jab on Friday and how about this the Dr who gave him the jab is a consultant at Imperial College London and had done his day there then come to assist with vaccinations here in Bracknell. Our Dr practice being a hub for their own three practice sites and three others in Bracknell.

Well off for coffee and a day stitching in the warm.

Stay warm, well and safe everyone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Hi all

Well we didn't get any snow this weekend - had our share the week before. It's just very cold & frosty - hasn't thawed out since Friday.

I recorded Jane & watched it Friday afternoon while stitching.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Brenda, why aren't you coming to Leeds?

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Hello Helen,

I usually do Swindon and Leicester and only bother now and again with Leeds. Has to be said, it's a few years now since I was there......must give it another go some time.

Had an e-mail from Sally Hudson recently and she tells me there is a big cruise liner parked up in the bay at Weymouth......set my mind off thinking.....it would be very nice to do a river cruise down the Danube or something just for Guild members!! - we'll perhaps have to start lobbying Andrea ...(as if she hasn't got enough to do!!)

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh Brenda! A CSG river cruise would be just the thing!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Jean Strange

Oh river cruise sounds lovely except I have a “thing” about boats. They upset my balance unless you sit me in the middle and leave me alone!!! Jeff laughs at me I even feel “ whoosy” on the Studland Bay chain link ferry!!!!

Just now anywhere with a group of Guild members would be lovely.

Usually only do Swindon as Jeff can come with me and there are things he can do on the Saturday even if it is carry on down the M4 to Chepstow and visit his Mum.

Finished all the stitching and beading on Sweete bag and note book cover from Jane now need to make it up. It is a very pretty project.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Quite agree, a river cruise would be fantastic. Why don't we do a bit of investigating and see how much it would cost to go on one as a group. Then we could make sure that Jean sits in the middle, and we wouldn't expect her to move. But I quite agree, going anywhere with a group of Guild members would be fantastic.

I normally only do Leicester and Swindon similar to Brenda, but quite frankly, I need to be able to see some other people, so that's why I've booked for Leeds.

I've actually had three days now without stitching anything. Do you think I'm unwell?

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It's a lovely idea, but I suspect the cost would be prohibitive to say the least :o(

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Much as it grieves me to say it, I think I have to agree with you Christine. What a bummer!

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Good morning ladies,
    It's a lovely crisp, frosty & sunny morning here, but they are saying we may have snow tomorrow.

I river cruise would be great, we keep looking at the ones down the Danube, etc - it's not going to be this year though.
    I have to agree with Christine about the cost - have you seen how much the Arena Travel / Stitchtopia trips are - they have a December one I'd love to do, but it is expensive.

I really hope Leeds can happen - we are starting to get bike events cancelled already and like Barbara I need a break.

I know I shouldn't complain as at least I've worked all the way through everything & still have a job unlike a lot of unfortunate people.

Hope you all have a good day

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Jean, when you've finished the Sweete Bag please send us some pictures of it

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Jean Strange

Hi everyone
    Agree on prices for cruise think they would be dreadfully expensive. Just wishing for time when I can have my friends for coffee/tea and a good chat. Have a couple of friends as well as Fiona, who came fairly regularly one of them my friend who had all Barbara’s Mum’s wool work. She comes for a respite from looking after her unwell husband.

Helen will send photos of sweete bag when I have put it together. I can send them to the email you used to send me your photos if that is OK. I also have email addresses for Barbara, Brenda, and Christine. If anyone else would like to have a photo please ask Christine to forward your email addresses to me. Hope to have it all done by the weekend.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Well, what a difference a day makes. The white stuff started to fall at 3am & is still coming down - not big fat flakes but very steady. Mind you the forecast is for it to turn to rain later.
    It just wanted to spoil my day out of the house !!

Jean, by all means use the email address I sent you the pictures from

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Hello girls,

Well, my comments on us all taking a cruise were a bit tongue in cheek really - just a fanciful idea of something that would have been nice were it possible. However, I do have to agree the costs (and the work involved) would be quite heavy - so let's just dream our dreams of better things to come and leave it at that.

Have seen pictures of the north-eastern side of the country this morning so I'm not surprised to read of the snow that's now plaguing you Helen. It's a bit grey here, although the sun tried to come out earlier on - still as long as it's not snow I think we are winning on this side of the Pennines.

The sweete bag sounds lovely Jean. Good to see there are some of you out there still stitching away. As for myself I can't remember the last time I picked up needle and thread.....I really must start pulling my socks up.......

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.