The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(244 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. Brenda have you added anything to your band samplers this last year? Are you still doing them?
    You'll have to send us some pictures of them

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Must admit Helen my stitching mojo seems to have fallen to the wayside a bit. I did do some work on the band sampler before Christmas to sort of highlight what had been going on in the year with regard to the virus - I mean, it's been too compelling a subject to just leave it off.

I'll scan a bit of it and send to you. My mobile phone doesn't have a camera facility - it's a sort of 'emergency job for idiots only' type thing, but if I've got something that will lay 'flat' on the scanner bed I sometimes send things out that way.

We've had 3 not bad days of weather here, but it's promised cold for tomorrow. I've just been in the garden to unpeg some washing that's been outside all day (it's now looking a bit grey as if there's rain on the way). Pity about the washing though - it's as soggy now as it was when it first went out this morning.......oh well, can't win 'em all.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Brenda, even though your washing is still wet, I bet it smells delicious! ;o)

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

Hi all
    Sent emails of Sweete bag and notebook stitching. I am really chuffed with how it turned out. Am now stitching the Faux Ivory Needle Book. Hope it turns out as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Brenda, I'm glad you've added a bit to your sampler.

I have done a couple a small bits for the Guilds 25th - I'll send the pictures later. If I can get to grips with the iStitch program I'll send charts as well.

Jean your Sweete Bag is lovely. I have the Faux Ivory Needle Book to do as well. I'm going to so mine on some band as I have a real antique one I want to house in one of the pages

We've had horrid weather all weekend - Saturday rained, then turned to a snow blizzard (which put down an inch of snow) and then back to sleet. Yesterday was cold & windy with flurries of little snow flakes. Got up to a covering today and it is snowing again now. At least when I'm working the window is behind me & I can't see it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

Thinking about the Guilds 25th, as a founder member as I think you are Helen, I still have the project I received for joining. It was a sampler of part of the Pam Ayers poem “Who’s Had my Scissors “ I did complete it but have never had it framed. I did have a problem trying to remove a crease in the Aida. Perhaps I could bring it out to the light of day again or even re stitch it with extra bits to commemorate the 25th anniversary. Don’t think I still have the chart but could look and see. When I get it out perhaps I can re chart it with extras.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Yes Jean, you're right I'm a founder member as well.
    I will still have the chart somewhere - in the loft I think - I never did it though, so I might have to find it.
    I still have all the magazines from the Guild as well as all of Jane's magazine she used to do !!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It is to my eternal regret that I am not a founder member - very much wish I had been, but I came late to the party, in 2005 :o(

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

I joined The guild about two months after it started, so not quite a founder member, but I do have the chart of the scissor thingy. I was wondering what to do for the 25th, but I can’t think of anything.
    We have no settled snow whatsoever here in sunny Somerset but it’s blooming cold. Just a few flakes of sleety stuff that isn’t settling. Are you all suffering with the white stuff and having to dig yourselves out of drifts? Hope everybody is okay.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

Oh Helen a lady after my own heart I have all the Guild Magazines and all copies of Jane’s magazine too!!!!! In fact I used a couple of small charts of lavender from the magazine to make lavender bags for Christmas presents.

I found my Who’s had my Scissors stitching. Still thinking about what I could do wondering about re stitching the poem but adding a section underneath of my favourite stitches learnt over the years a bit like the square I did for Jane’s fire screen years ago. The original stitching was in a very muted limited palette so could go a bit more adventurous. Need to finish Faux Ivory Needle Book first though am on cross stitch for third page at the moment. With the rotten weather have time to stitch.

I actually joined before it was officially launched. As for weather today we have a steady fall of very light snow just a very light covering on the ground at the moment hope it doesn’t get any worse have to go out for a blood test in a bit.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Morning girls,

I remember the Pam Ayres poem you are all talking about. I'm not a founder member but I'm about 90% certain I have a Guild magazine in which this poem featured. Fortunately I am a reasonably well organised person so all my magazines are filed neatly away in number order. When I get a minute later on today I shall go through them and find it.

White stuff on the pavements here this morning but more a sort of frost than snow. Sunny and bright though which is lovely.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Now, I'm going to have to find some ladders & go in the loft

We've had snow on & off since Saturday. We have a covering & I'm sure it is icy underneath. When it was snowing at 6.30 this morning I got back under the duvet & decided to work at home - must go to the office this week though - hope tomorrow is better.

I originally saw an advert for the Guild starting up in a magazine - Cross Stitcher maybe - from there I applied to join. Jean what is your number? Mine is 0111

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Hello Girls,

Well, a little later than my entry earlier on - and I've had time to browse through my Guild magazines.

Pam's poem and a large fold out chart were indeed together for this piece of work. The magazine at that time was called News and Views and was Issue No. 42 of January 2003 - if that helps you find it at home.

A photograph of the stitched poem features in the magazine itself (just turn the first page to see it and instructions) and the chart itself - as I've already said is a big fold out job - amounting to approximately 4 x A4 pages (all as one sheet).

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Jean Strange

Morning all
    Brenda yes full poem charted in Issue 42 of Guild mag I seem to have lost the chart for that though. The project I did was just the last two verses which were charted with stork scissor and thimble motifs and a gold coloured scissors charm it was the free gift when you joined. Will see if I can send you a picture later on. All my magazines are filed in order in CSG binders so can find them quickly and are stored in a cupboard in the lounge.

Helen like you I saw the Guild advertised in a magazine and applied to join. My number is 0080. Looking forward to the celebrations planned in magazine as Andrea mentioned in her newsletter. For now looking forward to next mag due this week or hopefully next week. We all need something to look forward to at present.

Listening to BBC news and the doubt over summer holidays makes me really fed up. Don’t want to go abroad we have at present got a holiday booked in North Devon with our daughter and family. We have two cabins booked as they will be bringing my daughters step daughter this year. This is for August just hope it can go ahead as doesn’t look like we will be able to see them much before then.

Weather here nice and bright at present we had flurries of snow all day yesterday and a little late last evening starting to all melt now where sun is on it.

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Just reading about peoples membership numbers. Wondered who were the first few people to join? Anybody got any ideas who they were? Just checked my membership number and I can't believe its as high as it is (604). I'd heard about the Guild, but actually joined at Longleat, where the original HQ was.
    Weather here is nice and sunny, but extremely cold. We've had to remove all the ice from the bird dishes in the garden, and the stuff we took out is still frozen, after four days.
    Have at last got my stitching mojo back, and just now started on a new one, as I'm fed up with fairies. This one is, would you believe it, birds, but American birds. Makes a difference to English birds I suppose.
    Hope everybody is well and staying safe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. JeannieQ

I have it on good authority that there were over 500 people who joined in the first month of the Cross stitch guild starting and of those there are 34 who are still members. Whoever was number 1 is not a member now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Jeannie....how interesting to read the figures you've quoted. I'm really intrigued as to who was no. 1 though...what a pity that person is not a member now. Personally had I known I was member no. 1, I think I would've continued my subscription regardless - just for the thrill of being No. 1.

Being realistic - 25 years ago, there's always the possibility I suppose that Member No. 1 is no longer with us. During my time with the Guild I can think of several ladies who are now with the Angels stitching angels. Sobering thought.......

Let's go back to Barbara being fed up with stitching Fairies......don't know why but that made me laugh...poor unwanted fairies, probably with half a wing, one leg and holding a stalk with no flower on the end.......

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Brenda your mind does go down some strange paths.
    I have come to the conclusion I should work on a weekend & have a few days during the week off.
    Sunday was so dull I have to stitch with the light on & yesterday afternoon was bright & sunny :(

Like Barbara we were frozen over the weekend, then it suddenly thawed Sunday night. Our pond was so bad we had to put out some old sweet tubs for the garden birds. The frogs usually start to arrive about now - just hope they are tucked up somewhere safe whule the pond temperature gets right for them.

I think a trip in to the loft is in order to get the old magazines out & see what is in them. I think Mick's next project should be to put in a proper loft ladder & sort out the loft. Ours is big enough to make a huge room right across the top of the house - you can stand up in it & walk from one end to the other.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Oh Helen - I hold my hand up to that one......strange paths indeed - I've been bloody weird all my life.........thank you, it made me laugh...

Yes though, the great thaw has taken place here too. I have that many frozen Frisbee type looking objects on the lawn where I've been tipping out the circular frozen middles of the water bowls for the birds ....but they are mostly defrosted now.

Trust you've all received your Guild magazine by now...I must say I was particularly drawn to Jane's CSG Logo item on the catalogue. Really liked it enough to dig out the threads and make a start. I should be finishing off some UFOs, but I've got fed up with those (bit like Barbara and the Fairies) - so it feels lovely to have started something different. I just don't know at the moment though what I'm going to do with it when it's completed. Will have to do a bit of head scratching on that one.....the woman who lives next door and surely must see me head scratching quite a lot when I'm in the conservatory with some stitching and probably thinks I've got nits.......

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Morning Ladies
    Got home to my magazine & catalogue last night - nice end to the day
    I think the CSG Logo will go at the top of the next "CSG" band sampler - it will make a good start to it
    There was still bits of snow on the North York Moors yesterday, but it's mostly all gone now

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.