The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(244 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh good! Then we're cookin' with gas (so to speak) ;O)

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Hi Ladies
    I've had the weekend off from the computer & have only just caught back up on the conversation

I always use a mouse (if I can) as I find the touch pad hard to control. My mouse is free to wander though - keeps the desk much tidier than having its' tail all over the place.
    As for computers, I started my working life as a Cobol programmer, then moved on to Progress and now work as a Crystal Reports writer - just shows how the system I've worked with for the last 30+ years has changed & developed !!

It's a much better day here - we've had an awful weekend with the wind & rain, waiting to see what this week brings.

Got an email from Andrea saying the Guilds' birthday was on the 12th - I was always under the impression it was on the 16th, so now I'm confused - I know, it doesn't take a lot

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

16th of the month is when we pay our direct debit subs

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Helen, I spent my entire working life writing and maintaining COBOL programs. These are now referred to as 'legacy' systems, and according to my daughter my dinosaur skills are much in demand.

(there ain't enough money available in the universe to tempt me back)

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. That would explain my confusion - the 12th is also my step-son's birthday - he is 2 years older than the Guild

I don't know if I can remember my "dinosaur" skills - I'm sure they would soon come back - nice neat rows of code all perfectly lined up

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Having just read Jane's jottings on her Finder of Treasures site she has put that the Guild was formed on the 16th March as a Limited Company, so that must be why I've always thought its' birthday was the 16th - not that it matters, we're 25 and that's a milestone worth celebrating

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Barbara Stone

Sorry to be so ignorant, but would you lot start speaking English again! What the hell is a COBOL system? And what do you use it for? Computers as a whole, don’t like me, so I tend not to use them. Okay I use one for writing, google stuff and things like that, but nothing more. Had to use one for ordering stuff at work, but since then, I’m not keen on them. I’d much rather not have to use one for banking and stuff like that. Call me a Luddite if you will, but I’m sure I’m not the only one. It’s the same with phones. As I’ve got a landline, why the hell do I need an all singing, all dancing phone that costs megabucks, and does everything but make the tea! The only thing I use my mobile for, is making phone calls. Yet I’m being denied lots of things, because I don’t have the facility for the ‘app’. I think we are all becoming Slaves to technology nowadays, and when it all goes wrong, as it inevitably does, everybody is scuppered, because they don’t have the basic skillls learnt when we didn’t have so much technology. Okay, that’s my little rant over, but it would be interesting to hear what everybody else thinks.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It's OK Barbara, just think of Helen and I as conversing in Latin, or Ancient Greek. You don't need to know anything about it for iStitch, which is written in the computer equivalent of modern English. Just turn up at Leeds with your laptop and mouse and all will be well :oD

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Barbara
    COBOL stands for Common Business Orientated Language and is used for writing business software (Christine can correct me if I remembered wrongly).
    Like you my mobile is for making calls - I keep having discussions with the assistants in Lidl as to why I don't have the "APP". My phone's getting a little long in the tooth now so may trade it in for a simple smart phone. Being able to pick up my emails might be a good idea when I'm doing contract work & then I don't need to switch the computer on to see what's been sent to me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Helen is correct (as far as I can remember, LOL)

I finally upgraded to a so-called 'smart' mobile at the start of last year, having had my previous phone for (quick count on fingers) over 13 years. It is used as a phone, that is to say it makes and receives phone calls and text messages. What else would I want a phone for?

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Jean Strange

I have a Smart mobile. Have had for a while didn’t use it for anything except phone calls and text but Jeff set my latest one to receive emails which I have found useful. It was especially useful this morning when for some unknown reason my iPad decided it wasn’t going to play ball and display emails!!! It told me they were downloaded but wouldn’t display. Have sorted by totally turning off iPad then going to settings and updating things. I also have WhatsApp on this phone so can video call my daughter and grandsons. Also use the calendar and calculator functions.
    WhatsApp has also been used for sending pictures to Fiona and others.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Thank you Christine and Helen for letting me know about COBOL. I still have no idea of what t means, but I enjoyed reading about it. I’ll just try and bring the lap top to Leeds. Have a nice day!

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Barbara, if you don't have room to bring the laptop to Leeds you can always share mine. I'm sure I'll be chauffeured so won't be too constrained as to what I can bring

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, you have no need to know about COBOL. Or ALGOL. Or FORTRAN. Or C++. Or .....

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Helen, as long as you don't mind sharing your laptop and mouse that will be fine. It only becomes an issue if Barbara has any pictures on her own machine that she wants to turn into a cross stitch chart

Barbara, DO you have any pictures on your laptop that you have a burning ambition to turn into a cross stitch chart?

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Barbara Stone

Thanks girls, I will probably have room for the computer. And if we!re talking initials, you might need to know DHS, FNOF, AAA, TFBUNDY, CVA, et al. I think every occupation has its own set of initials that people in that occupation know and understand. I might translate some of those sometime, but not all, as one of them is very derogatory!

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, you are so right - every profession uses some form of 'shorthand' which everyone outside that profession regards as arcane jargon. But it saves time and effort to those in the know

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Barbara, if you don't have room for the laptop & want to convert any pictures send them to me before & I'll send the charts back to you - it's modern tech wonderful

Anyway, we've both had jab 1 now, roll on jab 2

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Quite agree. In answer to your question, I don’t think so. The ones I did want to do, we managed, ibut I’ve got no idea how we did it, which is why I need to learn how to do it for myself.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

Okay thanks Helen.

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.