The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(244 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. Hello all,

Just having a two minute catch up on the forum this morning - haven't been indulging for a bit.....I can see from all the computer type waffle that I've really missed a lot......(not).....I'm in Barbara's gang on this one.

To those who are worried and ashamed about not understanding all the computer stuff - then don't be - we all have strengths and weaknesses. One of my weaknesses is lack of understanding of all things technological, but my strengths - ah, now that's a different matter....unfortunately I can't seem to find those buggers either at the moment......

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

As a lapsed member of the IT community, it is my fervent belief that even those who understand computers don't understand computers

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Christine, that makes sense in its' own weird way

Brenda you are funny, clever & talented - what more strengths does a person need?

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

"Brenda you are funny, clever & talented - what more strengths does a person need?"

Hear! Hear! Seconded!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

And definitely thirded . Brenda you’re most definitely a great friend as well, and I count myself lucky to be amongst those. And while I’m on the subject, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you on the forum, for being so kind, helpful and good friends as well. I know that probably sounds a bit yucky, but I don’t think I’ve ever said it before, and wanted to get it out of the way now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

Hi all
    Oh Brenda you you do make us laugh!!! Had email from Andrea asking for me to send something for 25th Anniversary mag as a founder member. Asked what the Guild meant to me my answer was : friendship. It really is great to be able to share things on here. We seem to cover a wide range of topics from technology to our stitching to other topics we are interested in.

As for the initials and abbreviations thing when I was teaching occasionally got references to things by these and I would spend several minutes scratching my head trying to remember exactly what they stood for. I still think some people made them up as they went along just to confuse us mortals or to make them look superior.

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Jean, I've had that email as well. Strangely "Friendship" was the first thing I thought of - great minds think alike

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Just had word that the world is starting to slowly get back to normal, with an e mail from the Roster clerk for the Railway, asking when I’d like to do my retraining and then start to work again. And of course with the news that Leeds will be going ahead, subject to everybody being sensible. At last things are starting to improve. Anybody else had that kind of feeling lately? Hope everybody is well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Barbara, I know what you mean, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.
    That could be because only half the world stopped for me.
    I think when I have my first weekend away I'll feel more like we are getting there - we've already had 3 events postponed until later in the year and 3 UK weekends cancelled as well as Swindon - so you can see why I can't get too enthusiastic yet.

Can't believe it's been a whole year

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

Like you Helen I don’t think I’m quite there yet.

Have had letter from the government saying as of 1st April I no longer need to shield but should still be cautious even if I have had both jabs. Had letter about local elections too saying did I want postal vote and seeming to suggest that I should.There are never many people at the polling station so I intend to go as normal. I will take my own pen/pencil as suggested.

I won’t feel like things are moving forward until we can go to our caravan and see our friends there let’s face it it is easy to socially distance there! It’s just rules about toilets and showers at the moment. Haven’t heard from the site if they have any further clarification on these points. The New Forest Show has been cancelled again this year. Always look forward to this as Jeff is a life member and we automatically get tickets for all three days.

Yes a whole year since official lockdown but I was already in semi lockdown after my surgery. I was already on rules like no public transport, no crowded places like theatres, cinemas etc and no seeing the grandchildren for a couple of months because of the risk of infection. Then it all just got worse when I was expecting it to get easier!!!!

Now looking forward to being able to have a friend for coffee and a chat from middle of April.

Hope everyone is keeping well and busy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Barbara Stone

I do realise that a lot of things are going to take a long time to get back to normal, ands I can understand how people are feeling. Because of Bob, I’ve been under a kind of dual lockdown - nothing seemed to be getting better at all, everything was going backwards, but now he’s had his hip done, we can start to be a bit more positive about the future, and getting the e mail from the Railway made it seem a bit more positive, if you know what I mean. Hopefully we will all start feeling the same way, and we can start to feel that there is going to be a future for us all.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Hear, hear Barbara.....sometimes it's hard to be able to look forward, but having positive 'vibes' coming from you over the airwaves is a salutary lesson to us all - there are two sides to every coin but sometimes we just forget to flip the coin over. Thank you for making me re-think what side of the coin I'm looking at and that maybe I should just flip it over......

Love you lots.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Hi All
    Sorry to have sounded so down - we should have been away last weekend & I think the postponement just go to me a bit.
    Mick has been working hard on the garden over the last few days - we are finally having a dry spell. We have flower tubs full of pansies, the patio is getting flowers on it and he has made me a stone seat from the part of our fireplace we took down.
    We finally get to meet his granddaughter on Easter Saturday - so that is definitely something to look forward to, just hoping it's a nice day

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Barbara Stone

Great for you to have something like meeting a new granddaughter to look forward to. Hope the weather is kind to you both.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Oh Helen, understandable that you and Jean should feel a bit down - we have all had so many of our pleasures curtailed over this last year. When you think of it, it's a good job we didn't know last March that everything would more or less still be the same this March. Reading Barbara's comments however made me think - something nice has happened for her in that she's being re-called for her TTI role on the West Somerset, so just maybe there are nice things in the pipeline for the rest of us too - it's just that they haven't happened yet......but they will.

Mick's granddaughter.....now that's something nice to look forward to...and we shall all keep our fingers crossed that it's a nice day for you. Pleasantly warm, sunny and bright, and all the flowers on your patio smiling at you with happy faces........ ahhhhh.... bless.......

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Jean Strange

Morning all
    Well we ordered new awning for our caravan it should have been delivered to the site yesterday. Jo in the office was going to accept the delivery and put it in the store room for us. Now just need to know when we can go and stay to put it up. Normally we would have been going down some time this week to be there over the Easter weekend. Think we might be able to go on 12th April. Hopefully the hairdresser will be open too and we will be able to get appointments. I swear my hair grows faster lately it is far longer than after first lockdown!!! Definitely the shaggy dog look at the moment.

Saw my friend for a few minutes yesterday it was her birthday. I gave her a bag of “stitchy” bits. Jan does wool work and is the friend who had the things from Barbara. I got her some bits from Sue Hawkins. Like us she is saying thank goodness for stitching. Her husband is having lots more health issues (not Covid).

Helen hope Easter Saturday is fine and warm for you to finally meet Mick’s granddaughter. It seems such a long time ago you told us about her arrival.

Well hope everyone is safe and well. It’s a nice bright morning here at present.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Hi all

Hope you've all got some sunshine today - it's most welcome after the weather we had this weekend.

Jean, I hope it won't be long before you can get to the caravan.

I'm still not talking about hair, but I did notice today that some of the bald patches feel spikey today - hopefully it's starting to fill out again.

Robyn was 3 months old at the weekend, so yes it is a long time since she was born.
    My niece had her birthday yesterday - the 2nd one in lockdown !!

Brenda, the flowers on my patio are baby pansies, so yes they do have smiley faces.
    Mick planted to ornamental trees to stand on the patio & asked what I wanted to cover the soil in the pots - stones, alpines or pansies - SILLY question.
    He should have know the answer - little smiley faces.

Caught the last of the frogs sunbathing in the pond at lunchtime.

Guess what's coming back on the telly - I saw an advert for it yesterday :)
    Don't know when it's starting though

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

Lovely sun this after noon, really warm out, so decided to go and plant my onions, so spent a couple of hours on hands and knees, pushing onions and garlic bulbs into the ground. Will have to put fleece over them to stop the blackbirds pulling them up again. Hopefully, the mouse won’t make a nest in the bed, like she did last year, and hoard onion sets for her babies. Last year she pinched 15, and got quite annoyed with me for having retrieved them. The hard work in the garden starts now, so I’ll start sewing seeds and hope they grow.
    Helen, what’s coming back? Haven’t heard of anything. Could it be GBSB?

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Jean Strange

Yes Barbara Great British Sewing Bee. Being advertised on BBC 1. No date given for it to start yet just says coming soon. Something to look forward to.

Been to garden centres today Jeff decided he wanted a Statue or something in the garden. Ended up at a garden centre haven’t been to before. There are now 2 small “stone” dragons in my front garden. The labels gave them names of Spike and Snap. Jeff sent photos to our daughter got response that our youngest grandson wants them!! He is into the How to Train your Dragon books and films.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Yes it's GBSB - like Jean says the advert just says coming soon
    I think I'm going to give the jewellery one that's being advertised a go & see what it's like

Lovely day - really sunny drive to work - unfortunately I end up with it in my eyes in both directions. Hayfever is starting - snuffling & sneezing

Jean, I love the idea of dragons guarding the garden. I have stone hedgehogs that I've had for well over 20 years. They are rather lazy though - in bed, in the bath, in a rocking chair, curled up reading a book !!

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.