The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

GBSB 2021

(72 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Christine Berrett
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Stone

I’m glad other people didn’t like the garment of the week. The only one of the made to measures that I would have worn was the dress that wasn’t finished, the amalgamation of the two cultures. Even my husband has now got a handle on how Esmerelda and Patrick work, and he looked at the outfits and said well it obvious which one will win, it’s the one with the biggest bow! Christine, I think he and you are on the same wavelength.
    Jewellery - well, the locket I liked was the box that Dan made. Certainly didn’t like the others, but I think that Hugo is going to win the entire thing, unless he has a complete nightmare week. Pity that some of the things he makes are not to my taste!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. I wouldn't wear the dragon fly earrings that Hugo made but I did think they were eye catching
    The pendant he made & the penguin brooch I would wear.
    I didn't like the "diamond" shaped pendant - reminded me a bit too much of a coffin !!

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. I haven't seen the programme yet, so I flipped through your comments without actually reading them - if you see what I mean. I recorded it and will watch after tea tonight. Hope it is enjoyable as I have to say I didn't think much to the programme at all last week. Men's clothing didn't do a great deal for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Hello everyone....
    Have now seen Sewing Bee for this week. Hmmm, have to say I didn't rate Garment of the Week too much either. The item I liked in that section was the patterned, flowing type of trousers with plainer coloured top. The model did a beautiful job of showing them to perfection I thought.

One thing I thought quite pretty too was the blouse top that Andrew made in the transformation challenge. It looked like something that you could actually wear - as opposed to the drapey things some of them made with dubious openings of where sleeves should be. Also I don't think any of them are very good at putting two or three items together and making one from the point of view of matching colours or patterns. That's not a crime as such but flair of that type is something you either have or haven't got in my opinion.

Of the Breton tops I think any success there was due not just to how well they were made but also which particular striped material was the more eye catching. I can't remember now which person it was who made the one with the fabric that I particularly liked - it was a multi colour stripe on a darkish background.

As for the jewellery programme this week I think I fell asleep part way through that one as I don't remember too much about it.... must pay more attention next week. Trouble is, so far I have to agree with what Barbara says - not a lot of it is to my taste. I keep thinking back to the week of the Cocktail Rings - absolutely ghastly in my opinion and I cannot believe there are women out there who are willing to pay goodness knows how much for something of that ilk. Mind you, it's probably the same women who buy all these overpriced and hideous bags and all those horrible high heeled strappy shoes, which they wear with bare feet so that their toes fall all over the sides and edges of the shoe in a most vulgar and unladylike fashion - thinking that as long as they have painted their toenails then they look good...... (not)..

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Jean Strange

Morning all
    Well didn’t see jewellery programme this week recorded so hopefully will watch it later. As for GBSB didn’t like huge bow on garment of week but thought idea was good and did think it was well sewn. Children’s week this week should be interesting. Read that it is romper suits, fancy dress and a made to measure rain coat. Look forward to seeing the fancy dress last year’s was interesting I seem to remember they were given sleeping bags to turn into the costumes. I also seem to remember the winner was a bunch of grapes.

Hope everyone is keeping well. Weather is very up and down at the moment yesterday was very wet and windy, today isn’t too bad and tomorrow’s forecast is awful again!! Thank goodness for stitching.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Great to hear all your comments on the programs
    The weekend wasn't good here - Sunday was the best.
    Went to order some picture frames on Friday & then spent the weekend stitching
    Jean - did you say you'd done Jane's Faux Ivory Needlecase? If so do you have some pictures of the finished article you could send me? I'm having to make the gaps between the pages narrower to make them fit in the covers & don't like the way it's finished from the photos included with the kit

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

Hello everyone

Helen I didn’t change gaps between pages so they barely fit in the covers. I didn’t like the finishing the way the pages were fitted inside the covers. By pure accident, I think, I did mine differently. I will take some pictures and try to send them to you tomorrow. We are trying to sort out a problem with my email at the moment expecting a phone call at lunch time tomorrow so I will hopefully be able to send you an email with no problems tomorrow afternoon if that will help. The problem seems to be more with receiving emails rather than sending.

Have had some awful weather last few days very strong winds and some rain. Thank goodness for stitching!!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Hi Jean, thanks for that - there is no rush. I actually have an antique version of the needlebook, which is tiny. I am planning to house it in the middle page. I was thinking of finishing the new version in the same way as the old one - it will be easier to send pictures when it is all done than to try & explain. Are you going to Leeds?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. Jean Strange

Helen sent you some photos via email. Managed to sort out my email problem after Jeff being referred to the highest level of support in the USA for Apple.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. Barbara Stone

I thought the raincoat had to be a unisex item? Can anybody imagine a boy wearing a coat with a pigtail down the back, or am I wrong in knowing what boys would like to wear? Esme and Patrick seem to be changing the rules as they go along. I would have thought that Andrews coat was more difficult, as it was reversible.
    Glad that Dan’s ring was picked by the client. My reaction to Tamara’s bracelet was that the engraving looked a bit crude. Wonder what everybody else thinks?
    Hope you aren’t all keeping well, and not getting too wet, cos the weather recently has been horrible!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. The romper suit was a uni-sex one, but you could tell by the fabrics whether you would put it on a boy or girl. I didn't think it was specified in the made to measure, just had to be a childs raincoat. I agree about the reversible one being harder.

I think they want Tamara to win the jewellery, but of the 3 left she is the worst. I would have picked Hugo or Dan's rings. Hugo needed to make his bracelet wavy to match his beach / sea theme. I don't like the lady judge - she has definite favourites & it shows

Every day this week has started off lovely & sunny and then turned to rain after lunch.
    Drove home through some awful stuff on Tuesday & then about 11pm we had an almighty storm - thunder, lightening and hail !!

Going to pick up my frames later - that's the weekend sorted out then

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. Hello Everyone,

Have now had chance to catch up on this week's Jewellery and Sewing Bee programmes. My thoughts I feel are along the lines of most of you.

Jewellery - I wasn't too keen on any of the cuff bracelets. I suppose the judges have to think of what they see as eye catching ideas, but my thoughts are more along the lines of these things are sometimes a bit uncomfortable to wear - all right if you keep your wrist still but if turning from side to side they can chafe across the wrist bones. As for the rings - what gorgeous diamonds they were given to play with!.....however my favourite was definitely Dan's ring. I loved the way he'd placed it in the setting. Sadly though I wasn't too keen on the 'wavy' band. (God - some people are hard to please Brenda Midgley....!)

Sewing Bee. I can foresee that Serena may well end up winning on the programme. For once some of the ideas for the transformation challenge were really good. I loved the crab. As for the raincoats I tend to side with Barbara on that one - couldn't see a boy wanting to wear something with a pigtail at the back...in fact that aspect I thought was a bit weird altogether, even had a girl been wearing it ..it just didn't look right to me. I loved Andrew's coat though and with it being reversible I thought that was a good idea too. I did agree this week that Adam should have been the one to go and although he tried to do a different romper suit, using three colours of fabric - wasn't that such a mistake as he then had to change his sewing thread each time. I'm not saying he's stupid for not considering that - as in actual fact I think any of us could have easily fallen into the same trap, but it must have caused him to lose a lot of time by having to keep stopping and changing the spools and reels of colours.

I meant to check how many of Bee's programmes we have left, but I did notice the jewellery one is the last one next week. Not sure I can foresee another series of that - as of course using those lovely diamonds must have made it quite an expensive outlay......I wonder what will happen to the diamond rings that were not chosen for instance....

Tossed and turned in my head what they could use as a subject for a series of programmes for the future. Couldn't do a counted stitch one I don't think as it would take too long to produce stitched items really...but they could supply some clever people with computers and a stitching programme to give them projects of a 'designing' nature. That would be a nice opportunity for those who are gifted in that way - and could introduce a new lot of designers into the stitching market......Perhaps we could even end up with a certain Mrs. Greenoff as one of the Judges....wouldn't that be a hoot......

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. Oh well, here we go then - the last one of All That Glitters this week. I'd meant to record it, thought I hadn't and then found I had (the brain gets confused with old age you know...). Anyway - what did we think of the winning items? I was hard pressed to decide between Hugo and Dan's ear-rings, but made my decision based on what I would wear myself out of the two designs - and went for Hugo's. Then came the wedding headwear piece (can't remember its proper name now without going and checking - see - just what I told you about confusion and old age!!)...I liked the piece that came down the hair parting produced by Tamara but I didn't like the big pearl part of it that sat on the forehead, so that was out for me. Didn't like Dan's piece at all, but Hugo - again - won the day for me. So - well done Hugo.

Sewing Bee - didn't like Garment of the Week at all. I know it was meant to look as if the pieces had been roughly stitched together, but I didn't like the effect at all. I liked a couple of the other dresses in preference to 'Garment'. Several of the waistcoats I thought were very good. Nicely made, but I didn't always like the ones that had two different panels at the front - especially Serena's with the flashy gold one side and plain black the other side, to me it just looked as if she'd run out of fabric. However, I can still see her winning it somehow; despite the fact that Raph did well out of it last night (seeing as Garment' was his as well as the winning waistcoat.)

When you look round at the lovely room they inhabit though - all those shelves full of lovely haberdashery items - ooh, doesn't it make you drool with envy. Makes my fingers itch to go routing round all the shelves .......

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. Well Brenda, I agree with you about the waistcoats - I think both fronts should match. I also think that Raphe or Serena will in - can't decide which yet

I'm glad Hugo won the jewellery - loved his earrings & would wear them myself.
    Hugo's two pieces were lovely as well & matched the engagement ring he did the week before.
    I did think Tamara was the lady judge's favourite & she would find a way of making her the winner!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I really liked Serena's black-and-gold non-matching waistcoat front, although the way Raph disguised the seams in his waistcoat front was masterly, and gave him the edge in that challenge. Farie's cape was clearly going to win the Transformation challenge when both Joe and Esme couldn't resist trying it on and having a 'swish'

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. Barbara Stone

What have we said in the past? If it’s got a bow on it, then it’s going to be given garment of the week! (Providing they don’t fall off when they are being modelled that is.)nAnd that was true of last nights episode. I thought Damien’s dress was much better. Just my opinion. What did anybody else think?

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I did feel that those bows on the cuff (one of which fell off) were a big mistake. I don't remember the exact wording of the brief, but Raph's gold dress definitely said "party time" to me - Damien's dress was more "posh work wear" to my way of thinking. As usual, I will watch again in a few days to pick up the nuances I missed first time round.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I definitely felt that Farie dodged the bullet this week

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

All the previous series of GBSB are currently available on iPlayer!

Fill your boots...

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. Well, an interesting Sewing Bee this week and for once I felt Garment of the Week was the right one. I loved the gold dress - especially the bow at the waist. Because it was incorporated into the side seams it sat neat and flat and drew attention to the waist with its 'nipped in' effect. It did also fulfil the brief to me - it was a party dress. However I also liked the fitted grey cum check dress. It didn't shout 'party' but it was quite a sophisticated, stylish type of thing I thought...the sort of item you could wear to an office 'do' say at Christmas - where you were having drinks in the boardroom before leaving to go home at the end of the afternoon.

The lumber shirt I thought was interesting.....I hadn't appreciated just how many pieces it took to make it and the fact that all those squares and checks had to match up would have had me scratching my head a bit and getting panicky as I tried to do as they asked but in the allotted timespan. Phew....

Had an interesting e-mail come through yesterday...one of these promo things for t.v. programmes. It was asking for contestants and 'customers' who would be willing to purchase the finished jewellery items for special occasions. Yes, you've guessed it - All that Glitters - so it would seem then that there is to be another series.

Hope you are all having a good weekend and enjoy the fact that we are promised some decent weather from tomorrow for a few days.

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.