The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Waking Us All Up!!

(84 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Stone

Big update on Spike. Finally managed to contact the RSPCA today, and got given up to date news. He’s put on weight - 211g when admitted now he weighs 544g, but unfortunately he’s got a slight case of ringworm, so he’s having treatment which won’t finish until 11th October, and if he’s clear after that, they might let him come home to us. His new house is ready and waiting, the central heating is in, the carpets are down, and the electricity and water were installed about a week ago. (Do you reckon I’m doing too much in a hedgehog house?). Seriously though, the house is ready for him to inhabit. Anyway, when he can come home, we’ll release him in the garden, feed him every night and hope he grows up to be a big strong hedgehog, and eventually make babies of his own. And he is definitely a male! The RSPCA said they have over 100 hogs in at the moment!
    Hope everybody is well. It’s gone very quiet again out there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Sounds like Spike's house is better provided for than some of ours - do you do Airbnb? ;o)

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Glad Spike is doing well

Yes we have all gone quiet

We got to Jersey OK & had a good week on the island.
    Came home to a magazine, receipt for next year's weekends & and an invoice for Leicester

Now we are going to Skegness this weekend

At the moment I don't know if I'm coming or going
    My IT colleague left the company mid-August (just as I was going away for the week). I'm trying to pick up all what he did & look after our IT apprentice (who was not my responsibility) as well as doing my own work !!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

Morning everyone
    Don’t know what’s going on but when I have tried to sign in last couple of days all I got was a black page with a message from a web design company and a message at top of screen telling me the site was under development. Today I clicked this to get rid of it and managed to get here to read messages and post my own.

Barbara so glad to hear Spike is doing well. I’m sure he’ll be pleased with his new home.

Well I am now triple jabbed!!!! Had text from surgery saying my booster jab was waiting for me. Tried to contact them to make appointment with no luck as usual so went to surgery it was a vaccination clinic day. Spoke to the marshals one said just wait there. Went in came back out and said your booked in just wait a minute so in I went and it was done there and then!! Then received text from Kings telling me to contact Dr and arrange booster ASAP glad I could tell them yesterday (at first face to face for about a year) that I was done. Had flu jab too so that’s me all up to date.

Well see Sewing Bee will be back sometime soon but will miss Joe Lycett as presenter he was so good at it.

Hope everyone is well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Jean, it's good to hear that you've had all the vaccinations and boosters going!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Barbara Stone

Sorry Christine - no, but I do have a couple of spare beds inside my house!
    Big night tonight and tomorrow - it’s the Cafe Theatre performances, so I’m busy getting my props and sausages ready for that! Pity some people don’t know their words! Let’s hope the village residents won’t mind too much.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Good luck to the Cafe Theatre! Please report back with details when it's all over...

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Hello Everyone
    Been having problems getting on to the Guild forum. Phone call with a certain Mrs. Berrett who said do a Refresh.

Googled how do I do it and told to press the F5 key. Did that and hey presto - here I am again.
    Lunchtime now so I'll go and sort that out and come back to the forum later on........

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Glad to be of service :o)

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. Barbara Stone

Cafe Theatre went well thankfully. Had a great audience of 43 on Friday, who didn’t respond very well to the jokes, but a much smaller audience of 15 on Saturday, who responded very well to everything that was said! So having finished that, I’ve now got to start rehearsals for our murder Mystery which will take place the week following Leicester. The outfit isn’t quite finished yet, but it’s doing okay. Just got to try and lose some weight so it fits okay before then. ill Try and bring it with me to the hotel, so you can see what I’m going to be wearing.
    I had mega problems getting onto the website as well. Glad it’s sorted now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. Cor blimey - trust that Mrs. Strange to be one up on the rest of us - a third jab indeed! So glad to hear it though Jean and didn't it all work out in such a fortuitous fashion by just turning up at the surgery......

Pleased to read of the update on Spike Barbara. Not surprised to hear the RSPCA had a surplus of hedgehogs needing homes. I know we read about them being in a state of decline but vey often the Wildlife hospital at our RSPCA seem to have a surplus and have to put out an appeal for homes for them.

I also had to smile at you being a fat little sod who can't get into her theatre outfit ....now there's your next Murder Mystery......Who sent the 'heavies' round to Brenda Midgley's house to do her over for calling you a fat little sod.....

Back to Jean - what's this about Sewing Bee? Are they in the throes of recording another series - and if Joe isn't the presenter for it this time - then who is .....haven't seen any trailers at all about this. Added to which - we've had such problems with the delivery of the Radio Times just lately we've ditched the subscription after goodness knows how many years and Geoff is refusing to pay £3.30 a copy from a newsagent each week, so we are currently purchasing cheapie other magazines for t.v. listings - and really, they don't do the job like good ol' RT always does.

Miserable day of weather here today although the garden can do with the rain.......

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. Jean Strange

Hi Brenda
    No there haven’t been any trailers or anything for Sewing Bee that I have seen. I saw it on the BBC News website sometime last week. I always scroll down after reading the headlines to see what else is on there. I think it was in the TV news section (I’ve looked and it isn’t there anymore). Apparently Joe had announced at the end of the last series he was stepping down. I can’t remember the name of the new presenter but it is a lady I think it said she was a comedienne. Anyway she was a contestant on the last celebrity special of Sewing Bee so at least has some experience of what it is like!!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. Like Jean I saw about the Sewing Bee on the BBC news website. Dug a bit & Joe is being replaced by Sara Pascoe - he is going on tour in March

My Dad has now been tripled jabbed. He had is flu jab at the same time - last Friday. Mum had her flu jab on Friday as well - has to wait a while before she gets the third covid jab

I get my flu one at the end of October.

Today is supposed to be the one good day of the week so I'm actually in the office today
    It seems to have become autumn all of a sudden !!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. Oh - interesting news then re Sewing Bee. I like Sara Pascoe, although I only vaguely remember her being on the Celebrity version back in whenever......

Re third Covid jabs - believe it or not it was only yesterday I was mentioning this and blow me if I haven't had an e-mail today and a mobile text message to go and book mine!!!! Something in the e-mail about I'm a special case---- why??? My first one was in January and second in March so maybe that's the reason - they think my stock of injected stuff is in the decline of usefulness.... whatever, I'll organise it anyway just to keep 'em all quiet. I still have nightmares of the bloody Test and Trace system who hounded me to death back in January when I had the actual virus itself.

Pouring with rain again this morning when I went out shopping. Sun shining now but flipping chilly so I'm whazzing the heating round for a while to warm the house up. Can't afford to get bodily cold this afternoon as I'm out rehearsing with choir tonight and we are not in our usual venue, but St. Mary's Church in Nantwich which is always cold. Also, because we are not in our usual venue (nice comfy seats) we are sitting all spaced out (as in distance from each other - not ga'ga as if on drugs) with our bottoms gracing the pews and our backs held upright with the pewbacks digging in under our shoulder blades.....everyone's complaining about painful 'backs' on Thursdays after the two hours of torture on Wednesday nights...... Only the thoughts of a nice hot cup of tea and some choccie biccies when I get home again keeps me going from 7.30 to 9.30 p.m. whilst warbling through the Mozart and Haydn we are currently learning.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

This weather is so totally upside down at the moment. Monday, we had sunshine, yesterday we had rain non stop, about 2 inches in total, so I got soaked going into Sainsbugs, and today it’s bright sunshine again. We’re busy decorating the dining room today and tomorrow and the next day etc., etc., and instead of going away on Friday in the van for a couple of days in Suffolk, we’ve got to stay here, because some stupid person started a rumour that there was a petrol shortage and everybody panic bought fuel, so we can’t risk going away and not being able to get back, because diesel won’t be available.
    Anybody got any recommendations for getting undercoat paint out of hair? I’ve had to do all the paintwork, because he can’t get onto the floor,and somehow managed to get paint on my hair when I was laying on the floor painting the skirting board! Bob reckons it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to my general appearance, but I do not agree!
    Flu jab will happen mid October, but I reckon I’ll be eligible for dose 3 of anti Covid in November. Brenda good luck with the singing tonight, and hope the back doesn’t ache too much, but I totally agree with you about being a fat little sod who can’t get into the outfit. I must lose some weight!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ......there is this stuff called Shampoo...... Ha! - don't you always love a sarky bugger......

The undercoat should come out all right Barbara - in my recollection undercoat is water based as opposed to gloss (oil-base).

Next time though: suggestions:

a) wear an old headscarf
    b) choose a paint colour to match the hair
    c) change the husband
    d) you elect to go up the ladder and let him do the floor stuff.

As for the petrol and diesel situation; there were reports the night before last on our local t.v. news about how bad the situation was in Crewe, but we've been shopping this morning and whilst I trawled round Asda Geoff went off in search of the smelly stuff and tried our Tesco first. He had one car in front of him and was able to just follow it and then get filled up, so hopefully the panic buying is calming down and things will get back to normal.

p.s. we dearly love fat little sods........

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

Unfortunately it’s oil based - White spirit is working okay, but thanks for the suggestions. From the fat little sod!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. Hello Barbara love.....oil based - Oh goodness then white spirit is probably going to be your only option......horrible though to have to put that on your hair, so commiserations with that one. Big hugs to soften the blow......

Choir was good last night (but oh so cold in the church - I was glad to get home). Funny though as I'm sure I remember our conductor telling us last week which work he wanted to rehearse this week, so I dedicated a lot of time through the week practising the book I thought he said.....well, as you might guess - either I misheard or he changed his mind as we did something completely different. I knew bits here and there but I was appalling really - I frequently ran out of words before I ran out of music and Mary at the side of me was in tucks laughing at me....good job I'm thick skinned, it could've knocked my confidence a bit knowing I was being laughed at...... but you know what they say - "where there's no sense there's no feeling" - so I just warbled on regardless....... At least I know now what I really need to be rehearsing at home this week until I've nailed it good and proper!

Oh - by the way - for anyone interested - re Ally Pally next week - you will be able to buy tickets at the door. Living in Crewe and with my husband being a bit up and down healthwise at the moment, I didn't want to go buying a ticket in advance that I might end up not using, so I contacted the promoters of the show (Twisted Thread) and asked if tickets could be purchased at the door. Because of Covid of course they've been promoting like mad that one should buy tickets in advance, with no mention of an at the door purchase. Anyway, they've been back in touch on Tuesday to say that 'yes' I will be able to attend by buying on the day. There may be others of you wondering the same thing, so hopefully this information will be useful to you.

Not just a pretty face eh - or as my mother used to reply to me 'not even a pretty face' (she and I shared the same 'put you down' type humour.....)

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Thank you Brenda, that's really useful information - I would not have expected tickets to be available "at the door"

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

Update on the hair - it all came out with white spirit, the paint that is, not the actual hair, and after I washed it, it actually looks a lot shinier than it did before the paint went in it. Maybe the white spirit did it some good after all? Being a lot more careful now, that I’m doing the top coat.

Ally Pally - thanks for the info Brenda, unfortunately we managed to get tickets that are timed, so if we arrive at 11.00 am, we won’t be able to get in, until 12.30! Maybe they’ll take pity on some lost and lonely travellers from the West Country? I’m going with Maggie and Elizabeth, and hopefully we three will congregate on Taunton Station platform at 8.00am next Thursday.

I well remember learning bits of music, and then the conductor changes his mind at the last minute, and trying something else, that most of us didn’t know. Luckily, that didn’t happen very often, but it made for some interesting rehearsals!

Trying to get travel insurance for my jaunt next year (Floriade, Keukenhof and Amsterdam) - most of the insurance companies state that if you have bought insurance, and then the government state that restrictions on travel have been bought in, so you aren’t allowed to go, means that you are not covered and won’t get your money back. To me, that is a clause that should be lifted pronto. To book a holiday now for next year, and then get told that you can’t go, is bad enough, but if you can’t get your trip money back as well, sounds absolutely horrible. Maybe I shouldn’t have booked it? Wonder what the people who are going with Jane and Bill on the Floriade cruise have found? I know there are quite a few people going on it, who are members. Do they read the forum, I wonder?

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.