The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Stupid or what?

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Christine Berrett

No tags yet.

1. Morning everyone......

Don't like these dark mornings......I tried to do a bit of stitching earlier on, about 7.30 and am currently doing the Shuttleworth Sampler on some 14 count that I bought from Andrea back in August - more of that in a moment.

Half past 7 you will realise doesn't give a wonderful amount of daylight, but I was in the conservatory which helped a bit in that regard. Anyway, I was beavering away at the little bit I wanted to do and felt very satisfied by the fact that although I'd only had about 20 minutes of work in front of me, it gave me a nice feeling to have a needle and thread in my hand - haven't been able to do any stitching for a few days. Just as I was going to put all the bits and bobs away I realised I'd stitched in a dark mauve colour instead of the brown it should have been.

Big sighs all over Crewe as I undid it - oh well, better luck perhaps later today.

The moral of this story - don't just pick up the thread you think you need - check your colour number first!!!!!

As for the 14 count - this is from a pack of Zweigert in Rustic. I thought it would be useful for a bit of winter stitching where 28 or what have you can be a bit more testing on the eyes. To my surprise, not only do the colours I am using look really nice on it, and because it is easy to stitch on too, I am further pleased by the fact that when I hold it about an arm's length away from me you can barely see the 'holes' that 14 count gives you. So - anyone a bit apprehensive about 28 count - try Andrea's Zweigert 14 count Rustic. I think you will like it.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Don't beat yourself up Brenda - we've all done it!

At least you didn't cut a fabric thread whilst you were unpicking, unlike me, earlier this week :^(

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Oh no - did you have to unpick the cut thread then right across and then re-thread with one pulled out from further down?

Bet the air was a bit blue round Wilmslow....... and your sighs all over the area would've matched mine in Crewe.......

On reflection - if you had already stitched round the area before committing this sin, you maybe couldn't pull the defective thread right out.....so I'm interested now in how you did manage to rectify the matter.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Oh I’m so glad that I’m not the only one to do it! I was doing the cutting on a finished sampler, when I didn’t bother to check my blood sugar and got confused and cut the wrong thread! Managed to sort it out so it looked okay, it I couldn’t keep the sampler after that, so gave it away. The lady who got it was very pleased with it, but every time I visited her house and saw it, I knew what had happened and couldn’t look at it with any pride. Does that sound stupid?
    Hope you managed to sort it Christine, and it didn’t cause too many problems.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Thank you all for your kind concern about my inadvertent thread-cutting!

I was lucky in that I could remove the entire length of the thread, pull another from the edge, and re-weave. Phew! But I was very cross with myself for making such a pig's ear of it in the first place :o((

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.