The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Biro Marks

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year, but say special thanks to whoever it was years ago who gave me some advice on how to remove biro marks from clothing.

For the life of me I cannot remember who you are but your advice was to use a cotton wool pad, doused with nail varnish remover and rub it over the biro marks and once satisfied that all seemed to be clear to then put the article of clothing in the washing machine.

I have this coat - a three quarter length one which I have had for so many years and it is an all time favourite. I bought it in BHS at some point - long before they closed, and goodness knows just how many years ago that was, but the label is there stitched inside so I know I'm not mixing it up with something else.

I wear this coat for just about every outing at this time of the year so every week when I am trudging round the supermarket with shopping list and pen in hand it's odds on that whilst I'm picking things up and transferring to my trolley that my pen comes into contact with my coat and there we go again - yet another scribbling.

Just this afternoon I've been in the kitchen with cotton wool pad and nail varnish remover in hand rubbing away at the offending marks yet again - and I am now typing this whilst my coat is churning away being washed.

I cannot recall just how many times I have had to resort to using this procedure on my coat and it comes up each time looking as good as new. Like I say though it is really, really old....one of these days I'm going to take it to an Antiques Roadshow for valuation...it could well end up being the last ever item still usable following the closure of BHS Stores and it could be worth a bob or two!!.......

Anyway, whoever you were and you do remember giving me this advice - once again, many thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

No, not the last item useable from BHS. I’ve still got a couple of things from them, that I still use occasionally! But the advice on how to get rid of the marks is good, and I shall be using it on my train waistcoat, as I managed to get biro on that somehow.
    And may I wish everybody a Happy New Year as well.

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.