The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Swindon

(46 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Jean Strange

Helen yes there were lambs at Canon Hall and some very lively kids (animal variety)! I am going to be interested in seeing your Winter mouse house please Helen. I remember seeing one of your houses sometime before the pandemic at Swindon. I considered the mice when they were first released but decided they weren’t for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. Jean Strange

Morning all
    Well I make it three weeks or 21 sleeps to Swindon. Am I right Christine? Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Brenda we haven’t heard from you for ages I hope everything is OK.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Yes, 21 sleeps to go!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Hello girls - thank you Jean for thinking of me.......what a tardy Guild member I've been these last few weeks......sorry about that.

I came onto the Forum as I guessed by now you would all be getting excited and counting down the sleeps to the big day when you snap the locks on your cases and head off to Swindon.... and then found Jean's message.

Well - 'tell all' time - I've been having a kitchen refurb job done. Very pleased with it but it took a while longer than we were originally told and because the whole of the sink unit had to come out we went 4 days with no kitchen sink and no running water. Microwave and kettle were in the garage for use and the little sink in the utility room became the washing up area. All a bit inconvenient - amongst the dust - but worth it in the end.

We just need a new laminate floor to go down now but although we know what we would like, we are not sure the specific colour we want is available any longer. We've had a different sample piece at home to see how it looks but it is too 'yellowy' so it's back to the drawing board on that one. Anyway, we'll get there in the end.

So - I see it's only 21 sleeps now to Swindon. Hope you all have a brilliant time - goes without saying really doesn't it.......

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Brenda, are you going to Swindon - your post reads as though you're not joining us?

Just had our first proper bike event of the year - went to Hunstanton (Norfolk coast) for the weekend. Lovely weather for showing the bikes off in - raised £1600 for the air ambulance & we won best trike with our bike

Looking forward to seeing you all soon - got a busy few weeks before I get to Swindon

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Sorry chick - not this time.......but I shall be with you in spirit and putting all my mental energy into ensuring you have a lovely time.

Well done on your fund raising for the air ambulance. Funnily enough we had a news report on our region's t.v. last night in which the helicopter crew were talking of how much it now costs to operate an air ambulance service with the rising cost of fuel - and it made very sombre listening. Can't remember all the figures now but taking things all round plus the fuel cost increase it came into the thousands per call out.

If you've ever watched Saving lives at Sea you will know that sometimes helicopters are called out to assist the lifeboat crew. If they are searching - from the boat - for people in the water they can often be in turbulent water and darkening skies which makes it extremely difficult for the crew to pinpoint exactly where a person in water is to be found. The helicopters therefore, being up in the sky, can use their searchlight to assist in locating people, even if they don't actually need to send a winchman down and by hovering can stay in the same place with the searchlight until the lifeboat gets there. Lord only knows in that instance too just how much it costs to get a great thing like a helicopter hovering like that.

Quite apart from the cost of helicopters and lifeboats - the amazing work the crews undertake is beyond price.

As an aside - we had an interesting conversation going on yesterday at the RSPCA - 3 of we volunteers (all over 70 and moaning about What Do Doctors Do These Days......) we all agreed if we need diagnoses and treatments for anything we'd much prefer to go and knock on Julian Norton's door - the concensus of opinion being that vets smile at their patients, are kind to their patients and actually look at their patients.....in a nutshell doctors don't seem too fussed with any of that malarky and would rather we didn't bother them at all....

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. I like the comparison of vets to doctors & think I have to agree with you

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

14 sleeps to go...

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

Hi everybody, looking forward to Swindon. Only 7 sleeps to go, but first a trip to a village outside Milton Keynes to collect our new motorhome. yes, finally persuaded the other half to upgrade! So we collect it on Friday evening, actually we are paying for it then, but not picking it up until Saturday as I’ve got to drive it home, and I don’t fancy the giant car park aka the M6, M42 and the M5, on a Friday evening in rush hour! Last week after looking at the van it took us nearly 6 hours to come home. So, collect that, then on Friday morning I’ll be collecting Elizabeth, then off to Maggie’s, where we’ll be changing cars to come to Swindon. So looking forward to seeing everybody I haven’t managed to connect with for the last three years or so.
    Having read your comments on doctors vs vets, yes I think I agree with you I’d rather see a vet than a doctor, and that comes from an ex nurse! See you all on Friday!

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Only one week to go...

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. Need to start thinking about what I'm bringing with me

Barbara, so glad you've finally got a new motor home
    Bring some pictures of it with you - Mick keeps looking at them for us

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Will do Helen.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. Think I'd better start to pack tonight :)
    The stitching bag is out, but I might need some clothes

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Likewise, Helen - stitching more-or-less sorted, but better bring a change of clothes

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. I think I'm packed now - winter mouse house (do I need the other one as well?), very long band sampler, sewing bag & a change of clothes

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

The car is full of fuel, the stitching is packed, just need clothes and a good night's sleep then I'll be good to go...

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. The car will get fed tomorrow, then she'll need some more to get home. 400 miles is a little too far for her

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Helen, how long will it take you to get there?

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. 3.5 to 4 hours - depends on the traffic & route I take

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

'Bout the same as me then

Looking forward to seeing you all at Swindon...

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.