The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Sewing Bee

(71 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Jean Strange
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Finally got up to date with episode 2 last night. I don't come onto the Forum and read what everyone says until I've seen it......so....yes, I did like the gold one but there were things I liked about a few of them actually so garment of the week for me should have been in the plural really!! My favourite was Brogan's one actually, but like the rest of you the gold one's lining was eye catching and although um...what's his name ' Richy? - yes, Richy's one was too small I did particularly like the knitted welt and cuffs his jacket had.

As for the trainers. Well I said from episode 1 that I thought they'd gone straight to the deep end of the pool (i.e. getting to the 'tough' stuff before starting off at an easier level and getting progressively more demanding) - so to me the trainers again brought the programme into this category.

I couldn't help but applaud Gill for managing to do this task bearing in mind her arm situation, and having said that I do think Esme and Patrick could have helped all of the sewers undertaking the eyelet section if they had just suggested giving the implement used for inserting the eyelets themselves a good whack with something hard. If I'm putting eyelets in something (as I have done in the past) at home I have a little toffee hammer as I call it that I borrow from Geoff's shed and whack the thing with that. It packs a nice little 'thump' to the mechanism one uses and is literally like the little hammers they used to use in sweet shops years ago when breaking up say a tray of peanut brittle toffee.

Oh - go on - all have a groan ...call me an oldie ....I mean, can you even get peanut brittle toffee on trays anymore......probably not..... but there must surely be a Guild member out there somewhere who knows what sort of little hammer I'm on about.......

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. I didn't actually like the garment of the week last night - just not my style / fabric
    I think the right person went - he only just dodged it last week

Brenda, when you catch up with us again - yes I know exactly what type of hammer you are talking about. Don't know if you can still get trays of toffee though

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Barbara, I forgot to ask how Holland went?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

Hi everyone

Yes Brenda I remember toffee hammers. There was a Thorntons shop in the centre of Bristol and all their toffee was in trays and they smashed it up with a hammer when you went in to buy your bag.

Thought the garment of the week was the most wearable even though probably not my taste, other than the fella’s outfits of shirt and shorts. Trouble was they were both very similar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. I agree with you Jean that the 2 men's outfits were similar, but I think men are more restricted in what choice they have in that line of clothing than women

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Yes, I agree about the men's outfits. Felt a bit sorry for Richy in that his item yet again was too small. I do think though that it's sometimes a bit difficult for the men contestants where they have lady models to fit because they must surely feel a bit inhibited as to just where they can touch or measure without feeling a bit of a voyeur in some way. After all, if I had a male model to say make shorts or trouser bottoms for I would be very wary of just how far up the leg I would go to get an inside leg measurement!! Bit of a hoot really.

Anyway, it's providing a goodly bit of entertainment as far as we are concerned.......even if it were only in wondering what on earth Sarah Pascoe was wearing ..... her floor length frock looked like she'd been to Tents'R'Us .......

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Apparently Sara was pregnant during filming

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Oh - that explains that then.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

She's quite noticeably pregnant this week

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. I've seen her on other programs with a much bigger bump. The baby was born back in February.

Mick thinks they must have struggled to find boys to take part this year as they don't seem to be as good as the girls

The Repair Shop was back last night as well - 2 whole hours without football !!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

The Repair Shop, and Sewing Bee - two of my most favouritist programmes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I would have been very happy with the quilted jacket pattern challenge...

...as long as they gave me a bit more time - a week, perhaps?

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. I'd need a lot longer than that

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. Caught up with Sewing Bee again now.....I absolutely loved the idea of a patchwork jacket - would love to make one for myself ....just wonder if you can get Sewing Bee patterns from somewhere.

It did remind me though that I have a linen (unlined) sort-of-jacket hanging on the back of the door in the small bedroom. As is usual (most annoyingly) I'd been wearing it one morning when squirting bleach spray everywhere and the inevitable happened (again!) and I have little patches on the front where it's bleached out. I made a lot of hexagon thingies and sewed those together and pinned them on the front of the jacket to make a sort of quasi pocket each side to cover the bleached out areas - that was er - two years ago and there it has stayed. Maybe I should have another go at it to finish off the darn' thing!

They do seem an enterprising lot on this series don't you think with their ideas on re-cycling and re-styling. I feel quite sure if I was presented with a rail of old clothes or duvet covers I would spend half of my allotted time to make something just standing there. scratching my head and searching in my pea-sized brain for ideas on what to do.....it would probably end up with Esme and Patrick staring at me with all the headscratching thinking 'Has she got nits....'

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Agree with Children's Week: Garment of the Week

I felt that the loser was unlucky to go, but they hadn't exactly shone in the first 2 challenges and their Made to Measure lacked impact, so probably fair enough

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. Jean Strange

Yes garment of the week was definitely a worthy winner. Children’s week was obviously not Marnie’s thing. You could see she just wasn’t happy or comfortable with the challenges. Christian did well this week though perhaps he is getting into his stride.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. Fully agree - the garment of the week deserved to win
    Shame about Marnie - I had her down as a possible winner, but she was out of her comfort zone this week

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. Oh - we're all agreed on Garment of the week. I thought it was brilliant - it aroused all my sympathies for poor Miss Havisham, so effective was it.

Must say though I also loved Cristian's clown - bright, colourful and really 'clownish' with his fat, round tummy. I felt the only thing that prevented it being Garment o.t.W. was that I don't think clowns usually feature as pukka Halloween. It has to be said though that there is a certain element of children/even adults who get really freaked out by clowns.

This whole series seems to have been full of challenges that would stretch my capabilities if I were a contestant. Very glad therefore I only sit at home and watch it!.....

As a p.s. - who had a hula-hoop in their day and could actually keep it going........ME!!!
    oh - I do hate show-offs.......(yeah yeah now if the rest of you are going to join in and say it was before your time I shall just have to take it on the chin........ I can almost hear our little Yorkshire chick saying 'what's a hula hoop......seeing as she's about half my age.....)

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. Brenda, I know exactly what a hula hoop is - they're round crunchy snacks and salt & vingar are my favourite !!
    But, seriously I think I might have actually had one when I was little. I'm a lot more than half your age though

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. Laughed Helen at your description of a Hula Hoop.....I'd have a job getting one of the crunchy snacks versions round my waist these days!! The big plastic jobs though I could still manage - but I'm not sure I could still do 'keepy-uppy' ......

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.