The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Sewing Bee

(71 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Jean Strange
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Jean Strange

Brenda I know about hula hoops. When I was teaching and I know that was 10 yeasts ago now, but hula hoops were a standard part of the PE equipment. They even came in different sizes. They were used for all sorts of things not just doing keepy-uppy very useful as targets for bean bag throwing and “safe places” in games that are a bit like musical chairs where you have to be safe when the music stops.

Anyway what did we think of this weeks Sewing Bee? Definitely think Christian has settled down and is coming into his own. Wasn’t sure about the idea of the made to measure challenge but liked the winner it was something wearable as well as being suitable for a stage costume.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I think Cristian might have got Garment of the Week if it had actually fitted the model better

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. Haven't yet seen this week's episode of S.B. Recorded it but don't get a lot of 'me' time with the remote control...... I recorded Far From The Madding Crowd the other week and Notting Hill about a month before that so I've been watching those in fits and starts and trying to squeeze Sewing Bee inbetween.

I've now finished Far From The Madding Crowd and am half way through Notting Hill and, as I've mentioned, have yet to view this week's Sewing Bee.

I have though gone bog-eyed with watching Trooping the Colour yesterday morning and then the service from St. Paul's Cathedral this morning....so I'm at the stage now where I'm needing a rest from t.v. viewing to be honest. Must mention though - if you didn't see Trooping yesterday - that Prince Louis was wearing a sailor-suit outfit - just like the one they'd all been making on Sewing Bee the Wednesday previous!! - I bet Esme and Patrick were chuffed to little mint balls that they'd chosen something that would be so 'up to the minute' as a pattern challenge only to find Prince Louis wearing his version yesterday morning..... how brilliant was that!!

One thing I absolutely love about Trooping the Colour though is the drum horses.... those magnificent big shires with impossibly clean looking furry feet. It never ceases to amaze me that they carry two of those really heavy drums and can respond to commands from the Drum Major even though he cannot hold their reins because to his left and right he is banging the drums - so the horses movements have to be guided by the Drum Major using his knees into the horses sort of tummy area to instruct the horse what the Drum Major wants him to do. Such trust between horse and man - amazing .....

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. Jean Strange

Watched Trooping the Colour with my daughter and son-in-law on Thursday before we came home. I mentioned that the horses of the mounted band must be so well trained as they can’t handle reins either. Was told by daughter (British Horse Society qualified instructor/coach) and son-in-law (ex Household Cavalry) that they have what are called foot reins so imagine the drum horses probably have the same.

Looking forward to this weeks Sewing Bee and lingerie week should be fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. Ah - that's put me right on that one then Jean.......I'd always thought it was 'knee' instructions. Very interesting - shame they don't make a programme about it - it would be fascinating to see the horses being trained up in this way.....

You've also widened my knowledge on hula hoops and what else you used them for. We were obviously thickos in the east end of London - we merely stood twirling the things round and round, although I can vaguely recall holding them as one would a skipping rope and bringing it over our head to skip through them.....

Still haven't yet seen the last Sewing Bee - it'll be Wednesday again before I know where I am and on to the next programme - I really don't want to get left too far behind..

Going back to the St. Paul's Cathedral service - didn't Kate look fabulous in her sunshine frock ...and as for the Archbishop of York - I absolutely loved the things he had to say. What a lovely man he came across as.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. Just finished watching last week's Sewing Bee ...... wasn't overly drawn in (for want of a better expression) with their challenges this week. I'm not a lover of Country and Western Music so the outfits did nothing for me ...and sadly I was never a David Bowie fan either!! God, how boring am I......

Sad though that Angela has now gone, I did rather like her.....but as we know someone has to go each week.

Looking forward to tomorrow night's episode though as I feel we will be getting back to down to earth items. I shall be out rehearsing with choir but I'll get to watch it probably some time over the weekend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. Just caught up with you all
    Didn't see any of the weekend events as I was away - will try to find them on the iplayer

On the subject of Christian's outfit - I think if such tight fitting lycra had been available to Bowie he would have worn his outfit just as tight

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh crumbs, I was in bits at the end of last night's episode...

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

Same here - really sorry to see Gill go, but think she did a damn good job, despite her handicap. I tell you, she’s a lot better than I am!

Haven’t actually watched the Trooping the Colour yet, as I was away all the Bank Holiday working, trying to persuade the visitors that they really did want a ride on a full size steam train, as opposed to the small train at the Bath and West showground, and I couldn’t get the TV to work, when I was free. It was hard work, but seemed to get results. Did manage to catch up with SB before last nights episode, but didn’t think much of any of the outfits that were made, and last nights pyjamas didn’t do anything for me. Some of the materials used were too sophisticated if you know what I mean. Maybe I’m getting cynical in my old age, or maybe I’ve got other things on my mind at the moment.

Hula hoops can be used for lots of things. I remember using three of them to make a fancy dress costume of a tin of vulcanised baked beans in tomato sauce many years ago. (Don’t ask) but they were very useful to stretch cardboard round, and also gave me something to hold onto when I was demonstrating the costume! And thanks for asking Helen, Holland was lovely!

See those of you who are going at Leeds. Not too long to wait now, thank heavens!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that the Garment of the Week was the only one that actually LOOKED like a pair of pyjamas out of that lot

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. Barbara Stone

Quite agree maybe that’s why I wasn’t impressed with the rest!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. Am now up to date with current Sewing Bee episode - and yes I have to agree Garment of the week to my mind looked like the only pair of true pyjamas - and smashing colours for a bloke.

Really sorry too to see Gill go - what am amazing lady - the things she tackled and with only one functioning hand - I take my hat off to her.

I also loved the male model who stood ironing the pieces of the pyjamas for whichever contestant it was who was racing against time with the project....what a lovely bloke.....

And now we are coming up to quarter finals week, what a blow to think we are now nearer the end of the series than the beginning.... these weeks have disappeared so quickly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. Like the rest of you - sorry to see Gill go
    Not overly impressed, but then again men's pj's aren't very exciting to start with are they?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. Quite agree Helen.....it's not the pyjamas....it's wot's in 'em......

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Right decisions this week for Garment of the Week and who was sent home (imho)

Loved Sara's slinky dress, but was totally unimpressed by what Esme was wearing

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. I think it was the colour of the dress that gave it the WOW factor - was the same style as the white one, but that coral red was so eye catching. I could see the white one as a wedding dress though.
    If you can't use the fabric in the brief then you have to lose - just my opinion (& Mick's)

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. JeannieQ

Hi All, not been on here for ages so just catching up on all the chat from way back. I've been watching the Sewing Bee with interest and in answer to Brenda's question from a few weeks ago - yes you can buy the patterns. Some of them are made exclusively for Sewing Bee, usually for the first technical challenge. The sewing companies that I deal with send emails the next day telling me where to get the patterns and fabric that have been used. The Made to Measure challenge are usually commercial patterns unless they have drafted the pattern themselves. So if you actually want to know which pattern they are just give me a shout.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. Jeannie - thank you - that's really interesting about the patterns and I shall think about it. I was all mad for the pattern for the patchwork jacket but have since simmered down, so probably won't bother now, but I do appreciate your offer.

I really enjoyed the programme of last week (the 30's) - I've only just watched it last night and the night before, so once again I'm behind - or at least, I was; so am now up to date ready for tonight's.

I loved what they all did though with the things they made although I was intrigued with the transformation item - it looked to me as if all the men's shirts were made of silk and it had me pondering - surely any available silk during that period would have been used in the manufacture of parachutes. Certainly it has been documented that if any parachutes came down and women were able to get hold of them they were dead keen to make things out of the silk - wedding dresses, petticoats and knickers being favoured items (if they could get the elastic of course!!)

Garment of the week did look stunning in red and being given a sort of history cum fashion lesson on the use of fabric with a bias cut, it did bring home just how glamorous dresses could look in those days. Much more elegant and feminine than the stupid things so called celebrities aim for these days with their splits here and there and cleavages all on show - as Esme dictates 'less is more' and that definitely goes for today's fashions in my opinion.

The next comment though can only be - what on earth are we going to watch once tonight and next Wednesday has come to a conclusion?????

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Well that was a surprise this week!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. Brenda, the war didn't start until 1939, so I suppose there was plenty of silk around before that for men to have silk shirts

Yes, Christine - didn't see that coming last night, but I suppose it was that or send another one home for not fully sticking to the made to measure brief - didn't think it fitted all that well!!

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.